Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2015 11:00

Dashboard For a Group Of VM's

Im looking to create Custom Dashboards for Groups of vm's.  These vm's will usually be a grouping of servers to make up a application.  

For example lets say i have 6 webservers that make up Webapp1.   and I want a dashboard that shows me metrics of just those 6 servers.  

What is the best way to do this?  Typically we organize the VM's in folders that represent the application. 

The dashboard would have your typical metrics, cpu,memory,storage (load) CPU Ready ect.  

February 4th, 2015 13:00

There are probably a couple of ways to go about it, my preferred approach here is to use a service. 

A Service is a  logical grouping of any components in Foglight. 

When you build a service you can specify what domain it is a part of. 

In this example I build a gtest service

Specify it is a part of vmware domain

and then add virtual machines to it

So it looks like this 

Then I can just look at the VMs in the service from the virtual environment dashobard by selecting the gtest service 

If I would like to, I can also create a dashboard and drag the getServiceVMs to the main view 

From the data tree on the right go to all service categories and look for that service. 

Drag the getServiceVMs function to the dashboard 

and either select a template that works for me (like the summary lite) 

Or create a table with the right information  (similar to this) 

The result will look like this 

Hope this helps

Golan 

5 Posts

February 4th, 2015 11:00

This is odd as I found this forum to ask this exact same question.  In our case, we already have the servers in question groups in the VM&Templates view in vSphere.

Foglight only seems to be aware of the Host&Clusters view, which doesn't allow custom sorting.  

Hope someone in the know chimes in for us.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2015 13:00

Wow, that was an awesome reply.  I think it highlights my problem though...  I think my foglight is faulty.  I try building it and nothing happens.  If I try again, it says it's already there...  and no, it's not.  

I get similar results trying to look at the actual data, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.  

So I see a support call in my near future.  This will be very helpful when I get all that working though, thanks!

6 Posts

February 4th, 2015 14:00

Thank you for explaining this.  I built a test service, and i was able to get exactly what i need.   I was able to make the Dashboard i wanted only showing the servers i needed.

Thank you for your help.

February 4th, 2015 14:00

Windmeyer, 

Lets open this with support, sounds like something is not working as it should be on the fms. 

Looks like Steve was able to get this working so I think support help will be the fastest way to get to resolution. 

Golan 

5 Posts

February 11th, 2015 14:00

So, a support call later, it's working!  Thanks Golan, you rock.  

But now I have the next issue...  I gave a group of users the VMware Operator role to view the 'VMware environment', but is there a way to not let them see all the different services?  I only want them seeing the service that I just created.  I've poked around quite a bit and just can't figure it out.  

No Events found!