Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2013 12:00

Foglight 7.0 upgrade

can you upgrade from foglight 6.7 to 7.0?  the doc mentions 6.8 but now 6.7.  i also can't seem to find the upgrade doc for windows with an external sql db upgrade doc.

Hi Chris

There's a complete documentation pack at https://support.quest.com/Downloads.aspx?id=4999222 which you may find useful.  I'm  sure you can upgrade from 6.7 to 7 as that's what we'll be doing and I'm sure it's in the one of the documents contained within the pack.  However, I've read loads of the documents on and off over the last week or so, so I can't quite remember which one .

Hope this helps

Brian

171 Posts

I've only done from 6.7.1+ to 7.0, but considering there was minor changes from 6.7 to 6.7.1, I would think it would be ok.  If you want to error on the side of caution you could go to 6.8 to 7.0, it would only add maybe 20 minutes of time to the process.  As for the SQL part, the database is the easiest part, so I wouldn't sweat that bit.

21 Posts

November 8th, 2013 13:00

So i use the vbundle cartridge in my 6.7 environment.  I realize this cartridge is not supported and can cause issues in 6.7 but i haven't had any issues and i use a few views for executive monthy reporting so i want to retain that use.  Would upgrading to 7.0 completely break that cartridge?

171 Posts

November 8th, 2013 13:00

It will not break it completely, but it will eventually crush your system.  The derived metrics he calculates are not correct, so they are misleading in terms of performance and it will eat away at your system performance.  I would uninstall that as quickly as possible.

54 Posts

November 12th, 2013 13:00

Thanks Thom,

Quick question. I use the Vbundle datastore capacity alarm. We use it because of the way it cleects and reports back on the alert based on % free on datastore and if I uninstall Vbundle . What would the equivalent alarm be?

Would it be the commununity cartridge for VMW Datastore Space Available?

Thanks,,,,al

13 Posts

November 12th, 2013 20:00

yes - 'VMW Datastore Space Available' does the same thing...

November 13th, 2013 13:00

The upgrade guides are not specific to the OS/DB. They are applicable to all installations. You can find the FVE 7.0 Upgrade Guide here on eDocs. That link goes directly to the page that tells you what versions you can upgrade from.

I think the confusion comes from the product changing names between 6.7.x (vFoglight) and 6.8 (FVE).

Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition 7.0 may be directly upgraded from its previous version, 6.8.0.

Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition may also be directly upgraded from vFoglight versions 6.7.1, 6.7, and 6.6.2. If you have a version older than vFoglight 6.6.2, you must first upgrade to vFoglight 6.6.2 or later, prior to upgrading to 7.0. If your vFoglight version is very old, it may take more than one intermediate upgrade to get to 7.0.

Hope this helps.

54 Posts

November 13th, 2013 14:00

Thanks , works great,,,al

54 Posts

November 13th, 2013 14:00

Ran the upgrade process from 6.8 to 7.0 with no issues. Also upgraded a Vmware Virtual Center from 5.0 to 5.5 and had to do nothing special to the fglam to manage the 5.5 Virtual Center after upgrading to 7.0. Very smooth transition...

No Events found!