Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 16th, 2012 11:00

Set different Rules for HDD Space Alarms

Dear Community,

we are just starting to use vFoglight. Now we are thinking about the right way to monitor our different HDDs.

What we want to get is an Alarm if an specified drive is lower than a specified value.

We had a rule that fires an alarm if available Disc Space is lower than 10%. So far so good but a 30 GB drives fires an alarm under 3 GB and a 500 GB drive fireas an alarm under 50 GB.

So we decided to create different rules which fires an alarm if a HDD free Disk Space is under a specified GB value.

We have a rule where a warning is fired under 10 GB free Disk Space and one under 8GB, one und 5 GB and there further more.

The critical value is 33% lower than warning and fatal 33% lower than critical. For example. Warning 3GB - Critical 2GB -Fatal 1GB.

Now i have the Problem how to assign one drive of a Host to a specified Rule.

I created the Rule with the following: VMWVirtualMachineLogicalDisk where ((virtualMachine = 'vm-43478') and (name like 'C%'))

The rule should fire an alarm if Drive C form vm-43478 is lower than the warning Variable but it did not.

By the way it is a very time-consuming work.

Has anybody know the Solution for my Problem or has a Best Practice how to monitor the different Hosts with diferent Drives ?

Thanks in advance!

Jochen

1 Attachment

November 22nd, 2012 09:00

Hello Jochen

Rather than configuring disk values within the rule for individual drives, have you considered using Registry variables?

Administration | Rules & Notifications | Manage Registry Variables

Do a search for "FilesystemCapacity" and copy the default INF_FilesystemCapacityWarning to a name that fits with you.  Then, View and Edit Details of this copied Registry variable.

In the "Registry Values" section at the bottom, click Add... and the Select a Topology Type box appears.  If you are on vFoglight 6.7, you can choose individual disks on hosts, whereas pre-6.7 only allows you to set it for all disks on a host.

vFoglight 6.7:

In the search box, type logicaldisk:

6_7-Step_1.JPG

Select the LogicalDisk topology type and click Next.  Now, search for the disk on the host - these are sorted initially by Name, so it may be better to sort by Domain Root:

6_7-Step_2.JPG

Select the relevant disk and host, click Next and then, choose a static percentage value, relevant for this particular disk:

6_7-Step_3.JPG

And that's it.  Whenever the rule is queried, the system will apply the default Warning at 90%, except for this particular client when the Warning will only alarm at 99%.  Remember to add this to the FilesystemCapacityCritical Registry variable as well, otherwise that will alarm at 95%.

Pre-vFoglight 6.7

For pre-vFoglight 6.7, the process is the same except that you select the Host topology type:

6_6-Step_1.JPG

...and the setting will apply to all the drives on that host:

6_6-Step_2.JPG

...and then set the percentage value:

6_6-Step_3.JPG

This may not be the ideal solution for you as it still uses percentages, but it should be a lot easier to configure and maintain.

Brian

November 22nd, 2012 11:00

Hi Jochen

Yes, that's right - once you populate the Registry variable, you will then need to activate the Rule.  Hopefully, nothing will fire, unless it should fire.

If you are running vFoglight 6.7 (the latest version), you should be able to set different values for different drives on the same system.

Brian

Hi Brina,

thanks for that. I thought about this Solution too but it is much work to do.

But i can´t find an easier way to realize this.

I am still having some Problems to understand the definitions. Registry-Var.PNG

I added two Logical Disks and said that the warning should fire if "Available free Disk Space" is lower than 10 GB. I don´t want to work with percentage values.

Now please correct me if i am wrong.

I add all Drives of each Host to this Variable but i can set different Values for different drives. For Example Drive C: from vm-4711 Value = 8.0, Drive C: from vm-3256 Value = 2.0 and so on. And i have to do the same for the Critical and Fatal Variable.

But this is only the variable. Then i have to activate the Rule which is destinated to fire the Alarms.

Is that correct ?

Regards Jochen

Hi Brian,

great. I will try this out. But how do i define my Rule

HDD-Rule.PNG

If i activate the Rule it will fire a lot of Alarms because there a lot machines at the moment where i did not define Registry Value. Should i trigger it by Schedule ?

How can i tell the rule just to fire an Alarm for the Values i added in the Registry Variable ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Jochen

November 22nd, 2012 12:00

Hi Jochen

Yes, this can be done, although I haven't attempted it myself (I'm a newbie like you!).  Take a look at http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/performance-monitoring/foglight-administrators/m/admin-downloads/20438511 which I'm sure is exactly what you are looking for.  I would suggest you try two hosts - one where you have created a variable and one where you haven't.  That way, you can see (hopefully) that the variable host will not report and the non-variable will, which will prove the rule works.

Brian

November 27th, 2012 06:00

Hi Brian,

i tried it out but it does not work.

hdd-variable.PNG

i added some Machines which took some time and defined the different values.

Then i selected two Hosts and changed the values so that an Alarm has to come.

There is no Alarm shown. Only Hosts where i haven´t set a value in the variable are showing alarms.

Today i will take a look at the Document you wrote in your las post.

Jochen

No Events found!