Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2012 13:00

Web Component Framework Tutorial Woes

Hi Community

Has anyone else worked through the Web Component Framework tutorials?  I've managed to work through up to Tutorial 6 (Reports) without too many issues, but I've now hit a brick wall.

I've created the initial Host Model T5 query, but when I'm building the Basic Report Page View, I'm well and truly stuck .  I can work through the text until I am defining the additional context entries.  The hostmodel entry appears to be fine, but when I try to define the contect entry for hosts, that's where the issue arises.  The documentation states:

To define a context entry “hosts” for a list of hosts contained in the host model:

1 Click the Add Context Entry button (+) in the Additional section of the Context tab.

A new row appears.

2 Type hosts in the Key field.

3 Click on the edit icon in the Value field.

4 Choose Context from Binding.

5 Choose hostmodel in the Input Key drop-down list.

6 Choose hosts in the Path drop-down list.

7 In the dialog box, click Set.

The hosts context key references the list of hosts in the host model.

It's at step 6 where I get stuck - there is no entry for "hosts" (that I can see) in the Path drop-down box.  If I try to be intuitive and make an educated guess at what it should be, I can't get any reports to display - I get the error of 'For the view "Hosts Summary" in module "Host", the input "hosts" of type "Monitoring:List of Hosts" is not satisfied' when I try to Save or Test.  I've deleted all queries and views and started from the beginning.

We have vFoglight 6.7 and this is the PDF documentation for 6.7.  I've tried using the documentation from previous versions, but it is the same.

By the way, does anyone know if this document will be updated and when?  A lot of the dialog boxes and text in the document do not accurately reflect what appears within vfoglight itself.  Some things, such as being told to click "save" rather then "set" are annoying, but other errors force you to think about what you are trying to do (no bad thing, obviously, but the tutorial should be accurate with any "what you could do..." scenarios left until the end).

Thanks

Brian

59 Posts

December 7th, 2012 19:00

Thanks for pointing this out, Brian.

You've discovered an inconsistency with the tutorial. The basic problem is that the "Host Model T5" query is misconfigured or misnamed. It's named to return the HostModel, but actually returns the Hosts in that model.

Step 6 in the block you quoted is extraneous because the query already returns a list of Hosts; there is no need to specify the "hosts" path. You can safely skip that step.

I'll enter a request to get this documentation bug fixed in a future release.

Regards,

Brian Wheeldon

December 10th, 2012 07:00

Thanks, Brian - I'm glad it's the documentation that's wrong and not me

No Events found!