volvogirl1
3 Argentium

Re: 12/9/08 - "Microsoft Tuesday", and today's other updates

Ok I manually downloaded the MSRT 2.5 from your link.  Thanks.  But now Another Question!  When I dl it and ran it, it did a scan (I picked the quick scan).  I never have seen the monthly MSRT do a scan before.  I just have been doing the Custom Updates monthly and when it's done it says to restart computer.  Maybe it's doing the scan in the background, but I've never noticed? On the restart?  So were my past MSRTs done correctly?  How would I run it again to do the full scan?  Redownload it?

Sorry for so many questions,

Christine

0 Kudos
ky331
6 Indium

Christine,

I can't locate the thread right now, but it seems this is something i just recently discussed with someone (thought it might have been you).

EDIT:   We did in fact discuss this two weeks ago, here:  http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19244257/19379325.aspx#19379325

the following has been excerpted from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830

"The Malicious Software Removal Tool runs in quiet mode (unless/until it finds an infection).  If it detects malicious software on your computer, the next time that you log on to your computer as a computer administrator, a balloon will appear in the notification area to make you aware of the detection...  you may be prompted to perform a full scan.  We recommend that you perform this scan. A full scan performs a quick scan and then a full scan of the computer, regardless of whether malicious software is found during the quick scan....

If you have not been notified of an infection, no malicious software has been found that needs your attention."

as for re-running it for a full scan:   when you went to the link i gave, did you RUN the program or SAVE the program (to be run)?   If you simply RUN the program, it will be saved as a temporary file, and presumably removed when you clean the "temp cache".  [in that case, you can always go to the link and download it again.]   If you SAVE the file, naming it, you should be able to locate it (wherever you downloaded it to) and run it again.  

i believe you can also go to the START menu, choose RUN, and type in MRT (then hit the ENTER key) to run the Malicious Removal Tool.   While this may work, I don't know if you can tell which version it's loading [whereas, when downloaded from the link i gave, it should clearly indicate the version]

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
volvogirl1
3 Argentium

Thank you Again!  That explains it very well, I'll print it out for future reference, then I won't have to ask you all again!  Yes I think it was me in another thread......like I said, Sorry I like to ask questions. I'm not shy.  Getting a little older and don't remember everything lol.

Christine

0 Kudos
7 Gold

MS Malicious Software Removal Tool damages harmless software

11 December 2008

In yesterday's [Tuesday's] update of the Malicous Software Removal Tool (MSRT), Microsoft supplied an erroneous signature that led it to remove the uninstall components of some software products. For example, a reader has reported that, following a reboot, the MSRT found the trojan Win32/Renos.N in the "Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0" video processing software. Microsoft's own Flight Simulator is also reported to have been robbed of its uninstall routines by faulty error detection.

According to Microsoft – .....the incorrect signature was supplied to all anti-virus products, including OneCare, on 19 November. The defective signature is only contained in the December version 2.5.2419.0 of the MSRT and, shortly thereafter, Microsoft issued version 2.5.2423.0, which is said to contain the corrected signatures. Microsoft normally issues corrected versions via automatic updates, so no direct action is needed. The company has not yet suggested how the deleted files can be restored.

From Article HERE

Windows Insider MVP 2016 - Present

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos