joe53
5 Rhenium

AV-TEST Report for XP Systems- 2011/Q2 Released

"During the 2nd quarter of 2011 we have tested 22 security products in the areas protection, repair and usability. The "Protection" covers static and dynamic malware detection, including real-world 0-Day attack testing. In case of "Repair", we check the system disinfection and rootkit removal in detail. The "Usability" testing includes the system slow-down caused by the tools and the number of false positives. A product has to reach at least 11 out of 18 possible points in order to receive a certification. 16 products have fulfilled our requirements and received an AV-TEST certificate. The test reports can be found here:" (emphasis added)

http://www.av-test.org/certifications.php

Comment:

The results are similar to the Q1 Report using a Win 7 platform. Of note is that the only 2 stand-alone  AVs tested were free: avast 6.0 and MSE 2.0. Both achieved certification again for XP, as they did in Q1 Win 7 testing.

All the other products were security suites, of which only Comodo Internet Security (CIS) was free. Notable failures included the Comodo and McAfee products, as they did in Q1.

Avast excelled in Protection tests, its score in this category equalling or beating 15/21 of its competitors. http://www.av-test.org/reports/2011q2/avtest_report_avast_112241.pdf

MSE excelled in Usability tests, equalling or beating 19/21. In particular, it was the only product tested with absolutely no false positive detections over 3 months, an outstanding accomplishment. It performed less well at detecting/blocking real time and zero day threats. http://www.av-test.org/reports/2011q2/avtest_report_microsoft_112233.pdf

All in all, not a bad showing for the 2 free AVs I still recommend, especially when you consider they were pitted against full security suites.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zbestwun2001
5 Iridium

Re: AV-TEST Report for XP Systems- 2011/Q2 Released

Hey  Joe, hope you're doing great!

I looked at the chart and that 2.5 protection rating number of MSE against a 5.0 with Avast is giving me pause for thought  Maybe I should switch back to Avast.

Dell Forum Member Since 2004 but not an employee of Dell

If this answers your question, click
  Yes  

0 Kudos
joe53
5 Rhenium

Re: AV-TEST Report for XP Systems- 2011/Q2 Released

Hi zb1, nice to hear from you again!

Yes, that 2.5 was a disappointing score, but you know these tests don't take into account other layered security precautions one takes, such as

- a hostsfile

- SpywareBlaster

- operating from behind a router (hardware firewall)

- using a firewall with HIPS

- security features in the browser you use

- changing to OpenDNS

- safe surfing

For various reasons, I've never tried MSE for my XP system, although I do use Windows Defender (a subset of MSE) along with a paid AV. I keep them because because they work for me.

I do use MSE as my AV on my Windows 7 systems, (despite it receiving a similar low protection score in Q1 from AV-Test) and feel fully protected using it in conjunction with all the security features of this OS, along with the security features of IE9. It works for me.

I would also note that MSE has scored as high as 4.0 (for Protection) in the recent past at AV-Test.

I have used avast Free in the past (it's been a while) with no problem but see no reason to change back to it  based on this AV-Test report.  I value MSE's  user-friendliness.

Best regards.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos