Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2009 22:00

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition

Ad-Aware has a new version that really runs well and has a new interface that is a pleasure to use even in the free version.  It will run with Windows Live One Care without a problem.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 21st, 2009 01:00

Ad-Aware has a new version that really runs well and has a new interface that is a pleasure to use even in the free version.  It will run with Windows Live One Care without a problem.

I dunno, Lawrence. Didn't work well for me:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19256086.aspx

February 21st, 2009 09:00

[quote user="paindoc"]

I dunno, Lawrence. Didn't work well for me:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19256086.aspx

[/quote]

It is the first version that works for me without freezing and worse.  If the the realtime monitoring is turned off, the program does not start automatically.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 21st, 2009 16:00

Lawrence,

Like Joe, I am not a fan of AdAware (2007, 2008, AE).   But I guess if you believe it works well for you, it can't hurt anything to have around and run occasionally.

However, if you don't already have them, I would strongly advocate you consider [the free versions of] MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware) and SAS (SUPERAntiSpyware).   And in fairness, I recognize that there are other knowledgeable people who recommend A-Squared Free.    All of these programs offer effective on-demand anti-malware scanners.

by the way, I would not be impressed by scanners that (only) find "tons" of tracking cookies.   in fact, MBAM takes the view that tracking cookies are essentially harmless, and on that basis, doesn't even bother to look for them.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 11:00

Lawrence

I have no knowledge/experience of/with WIndows LiveCare, meaning I can't offer any opinion [nor data] on whether it performs better (or worse) than these other programs we're discussing, nor whether WL will conflict with the PAID/RESIDENT versions.   However, I have every confidence that WL would not conflict with the FREE on-demand scanners.

By default, SAS wants to start up with Windows.   however, this is easily disabled from SAS's PREFERENCES / Start-up Options menu.

MBAM (free) does not start-up with Windows [the paid version does by default, but this can be disabled too, for those who insist...]

Keep in mind that the free on-demand scanners do not offer protection/prevention...  rather, they are used to clean-up problems, after-the-fact.    If you read through posts in the virus & spyware discussions forum, you'll soon conclude that not only are MBAM & SAS the two most suggested programs, but they are the two most effective programs in getting the job done.

February 22nd, 2009 11:00

Joe and ky331, " if you don't already have them, I would strongly advocate you consider [the free versions of] MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware) and SAS (SUPERAntiSpyware).   And in fairness, I recognize that there are other knowledgeable people who recommend A-Squared Free.    All of these programs offer effective on-demand anti-malware scanners."

Do MBAM and SAS only run on demand.without autoboots?  Will they interfere with Windows Live scanning?  Are they better than malware and spyware protection offered by WL? 

I have been unable to use AAW until this most recent version.  I do not know how effective it is in detecting malware, although it claims to protect against malware.  My favorite is Spyware Doctor which will not run with WL.

February 23rd, 2009 11:00

K331,

Thanks for the additional information.  WL uses a built in version of Windows Defender that can not be controlled o or removed.    I will download the free version of MBAM and use it after the fact since I am already protected, (at least in theory).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 24th, 2009 11:00

interesting.  

you might want to report this at their forum and see what they have to say: 

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=41

February 24th, 2009 11:00

You will be interested in knowing that MBAM prevents WL from starting, even in the free version.

February 26th, 2009 11:00

interesting".  

There were no comments on my post on the MBAM forum.  However, I noted that MBAM behaves like Spyware Doctor and will cause unpredictible conflicts.  Spyware Doc coflicts with Onecare on my machine.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 26th, 2009 12:00

Lawrence:

"There were no comments on my post on the MBAM forum".   Can you give me a link to your post?   At quick glance, I couldn't find it.

EDIT:   I think I finally found your post there, under Malwarebyte's Forum > Computer Help >  PC Help;   I don't know how they feel about double-posting there, but I think you should repost your question under Malwarebyte's Forum > Malwarebytes AntiMalware Support > General Malwarebytes AntiMalware Forum.

"I noted that MBAM behaves like Spyware Doctor and will cause unpredictible conflicts".   again, a request for a link to that post(s)... I want to be sure the version of Spyware Doctor there was non-resident.

February 26th, 2009 13:00

There were actually no references to my post on the MBAM forum.  Finding it will be unhelpful.  My post was "MBAM prevents Windows Live OneCare from booting."   I searched "MBAM conflicts," for additional information.  The MBAM people conceded that "not every computer acts the same way."  There were some references to conflicts with various programs on an unpredictable basis in both the paid and free versions.   Spyware Doctor is a program I have used in the past and was very fond of it.  It offers resident full time protection.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 26th, 2009 14:00

Spyware Doctor...  offers resident fulltime protection.

I certainly can see that potentially conflicting with windows live onecare, which also offers resident protection.   However I'm still miffed by your troubles with the free MBAM on-demand scanner.   But if it's causing problems for you, then you have to stick with whatever else works.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 27th, 2009 06:00

Lawarence,

posting this FYI, in case you haven't been notified already; copied/pasted from http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=52967

To address the growing need for a PC security solution tailored to the demands of emerging markets, smaller PC form factors and rapid increases in the incidence of malware, Microsoft Corp. plans to offer a new consumer security offering focused on core anti-malware protection.

Code-named “Morro,” this streamlined solution will be available in the second half of 2009 and will provide comprehensive protection from malware including viruses, spyware, rootkits and trojans. This new solution, to be offered at no charge to consumers, will be architected for a smaller footprint that will use fewer computing resources, making it ideal for low-bandwidth scenarios or less powerful PCs. As part of Microsoft’s move to focus on this simplified offering, the company also announced today that it will discontinue retail sales of its Windows Live OneCare subscription service effective June 30, 2009.

20.5K Posts

February 27th, 2009 08:00

Regarding OneCare: If yours was included with the Equipt  suite read on...

...Equipt included Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, Windows Live OneCare, Office Live Workspaces, Windows Live Mail, Live Messenger and Live Photo.

...According to an FAQ posted on Microsoft's site, it will discontinue updates to OneCare at that time [April 2009], and cripple Office...

More here:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=17&articleId=9128259&intsrc=hm_topic
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959675

February 27th, 2009 12:00

KY:  Thanks for the FYI.  Does this include a firewall?

No Events found!