8 Krypton

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition

Ad-Aware has a new version that really runs well and has a new interface that is a pleasure to use even in the free version.  It will run with Windows Live One Care without a problem.

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition

Ad-Aware has a new version that really runs well and has a new interface that is a pleasure to use even in the free version.  It will run with Windows Live One Care without a problem.

I dunno, Lawrence. Didn't work well for me:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19256086.aspx

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

[quote user="paindoc"]

I dunno, Lawrence. Didn't work well for me:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19256086.aspx

[/quote]

It is the first version that works for me without freezing and worse.  If the the realtime monitoring is turned off, the program does not start automatically.

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Lawrence,

Like Joe, I am not a fan of AdAware (2007, 2008, AE).   But I guess if you believe it works well for you, it can't hurt anything to have around and run occasionally.

However, if you don't already have them, I would strongly advocate you consider [the free versions of] MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware) and SAS (SUPERAntiSpyware).   And in fairness, I recognize that there are other knowledgeable people who recommend A-Squared Free.    All of these programs offer effective on-demand anti-malware scanners.

by the way, I would not be impressed by scanners that (only) find "tons" of tracking cookies.   in fact, MBAM takes the view that tracking cookies are essentially harmless, and on that basis, doesn't even bother to look for them.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Joe and ky331, " if you don't already have them, I would strongly advocate you consider [the free versions of] MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware) and SAS (SUPERAntiSpyware).   And in fairness, I recognize that there are other knowledgeable people who recommend A-Squared Free.    All of these programs offer effective on-demand anti-malware scanners."

Do MBAM and SAS only run on demand.without autoboots?  Will they interfere with Windows Live scanning?  Are they better than malware and spyware protection offered by WL? 

I have been unable to use AAW until this most recent version.  I do not know how effective it is in detecting malware, although it claims to protect against malware.  My favorite is Spyware Doctor which will not run with WL.

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Lawrence

I have no knowledge/experience of/with WIndows LiveCare, meaning I can't offer any opinion [nor data] on whether it performs better (or worse) than these other programs we're discussing, nor whether WL will conflict with the PAID/RESIDENT versions.   However, I have every confidence that WL would not conflict with the FREE on-demand scanners.

By default, SAS wants to start up with Windows.   however, this is easily disabled from SAS's PREFERENCES / Start-up Options menu.

MBAM (free) does not start-up with Windows [the paid version does by default, but this can be disabled too, for those who insist...]

Keep in mind that the free on-demand scanners do not offer protection/prevention...  rather, they are used to clean-up problems, after-the-fact.    If you read through posts in the virus & spyware discussions forum, you'll soon conclude that not only are MBAM & SAS the two most suggested programs, but they are the two most effective programs in getting the job done.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

K331,

Thanks for the additional information.  WL uses a built in version of Windows Defender that can not be controlled o or removed.    I will download the free version of MBAM and use it after the fact since I am already protected, (at least in theory).

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You will be interested in knowing that MBAM prevents WL from starting, even in the free version.

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

interesting.  

you might want to report this at their forum and see what they have to say: 

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=41

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

interesting".  

There were no comments on my post on the MBAM forum.  However, I noted that MBAM behaves like Spyware Doctor and will cause unpredictible conflicts.  Spyware Doc coflicts with Onecare on my machine.

PainDoc 

0 Kudos