Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2004 15:00

Anti spyware

Hi,

If I have McAfee Internet security 2005 or Norton Internet Security 2005 running on my home PC  (using broadband internet) do I still need to install a seperate Anti-Spyware programme? or am I suitably covered ?

And out of these two (McAfee and Norton internet Security suits) which is most recommended ?

Thanks.

8.8K Posts

December 28th, 2004 16:00

You still need a firewall if you are not using the XP Sp2 firewall.
Out of Norton and McAfee if it was up to me, I have used them both, I would take Norton.
I believe and I could be mistaken, but it won't bog down your system resourses as bad as McAfee.

Steve

8.8K Posts

December 28th, 2004 18:00

To be honest I use another firewall instead of the Windows. I use SygatePro, not that I doubt the efficiency of the Windows firewall.

As far as a standalone VP, isn't both McAfee and Norton a standalone VP program?
You need a good virus protector running at all times, along with the firewall.

To check if your firewall is active just click on your control panel and the Windows Firewall icon and you will see if it is enabled.

I hope this has been some help to you
Steve

3 Posts

December 28th, 2004 18:00

Thanks for your message.

Does it mean that if the Wndows XP (Sp2) firewall is  active on my PC, I'll not need an extra firewall (as in the security Suites such as Norton or McAfee) and a stand alone Anti-virus software should be OK?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 28th, 2004 22:00

What you really need in addition to a firewall and anti-virus program (sometimes combined in a product  like in Norton Internet Security) is a few of the reputable spyware/malware programs.

The best among these is Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and for good measure I use Spyware Blaster. Some dishonest products actually cause spyware problems. I recommend searching for updates on all securiity programs every day to be on the safe side.

Download sites might be found on other threads on this forum, or found on a Google search on the product name. Hope this helps.  :smileywink:

Message Edited by dalem29 on 12-28-2004 05:03 PM

No Events found!