Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2010 13:00

Anti virus popups prevent me from accessing the internet

My brother in law recentlly passed away, and I was using his computer for awhile.  Someone turned it off, and now when I start it I can no longer access the internet due to Anti Virus update purchasing pop ups.  I am on my computer now.  He has a Dell desktop with Windows 7.  It says the machine has various viruses and infections and that certain critical files are infected, and asks if I want to update now......for $49 for three months, with some software I never heard of.  It will not let me run any virus scan or access any web sites.  I am not familiar with Windows 7, but it seems to be controling the firewall.

I have not tried to run the system in safe mode, not sure how to do that with Windows 7.  I have loaded Malwarbytes and Avast on a thumb drive.  Should I be able to transfer these to his computer and run without updating......hoping that these viruses are in their database?

I won't be at his computer again for a few more days.  I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

20.5K Posts

September 14th, 2010 14:00

Welcome to Dell Community :emotion-1:

If there is another anti-virus on the computer, running Avast may conflict and create a problem. If so, you will end up with more of a mess than what you started with. It will help us a bit if you can remember and tell us the name of the rogue anti-virus.

Let's see if we can get your MBAM to run.

Using the clean computer, please download Rkill by Grinler from one of the links below and save it to your thumb drive. We'll use it shortly.

Now see if you can download the MBAM update file to your thumb drive. You will find the updates here:

http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Using your clean computer, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "erom.exe".

Next, transfer the files on the thumb drive to the infected computer:

* Transfer Rkill first saving it to the Desktop of the infected machine.

* Install the "erom.exe" file; then run the update so that you will have the current definitions.

* Next using the infected computer:

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool. (For Windows 7, right-click on Rkill and Run As Administrator.)
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please include this in your next reply along with any other logs requested.
Do not reboot the machine. Rkill needs to suppress the malware so you can run MBAM.

Run a full system scan with MBAM and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

You will need to have someone review the MBAM log because in most cases, there will be more work to do. Please post that log along with the Rkill log in your reply here.

20.5K Posts

September 14th, 2010 14:00

Duplicate post deleted.

No Events found!