Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2019 16:00

Ascension financial database wasn't secure

~24 million financial and banking documents were exposed online due to a misconfigured server at Ascension.

Info included documents related to loan and mortgage records from major banking institutions such as CitiFinancial, HSBC Life Insurance, Wells Fargo, CapitalOne and some U.S. federal agencies like Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Personal information was also exposed, including:
•Names
•Addresses
•Birth dates
•Social Security numbers
•Bank account numbers
•Checking account numbers
•Loan agreements
•Bankruptcy filings
•Tax documents (including W-2 tax forms)

Currently unknown if any of the info was accessed by hackers...

:Ick:

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 6th, 2019 17:00

It makes one wonder if any electronic or online transactions are secure. I received an email from Marriott hotels in December that my personal info related to my credit card and other ID info might have been compromised. This was a hack that may have compromised up to 500 million customers! These days I always prefer to pay by cash or check. But just try to book a flight, a hotel or a car rental without surrendering a credit card.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 7th, 2019 11:00

@joe53- With all the massive data breaches, at this point, I just assume all my info is already out there. 

I check my email address every so often at have i been pwned? to see what it reports. My address was pwned at one site so I changed that password. Fortunately, it was an "unimportant" site and I never use the same password at multiple sites so no harm done, at least this time...

No Events found!