ky331
Indium

Re: Avast 18

(with acknowledgement to Corrine, for posting at Landzdown...)

From https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/avast-users-having-internet-issues-and-malwarebytes-c...

Avast 18.6.2349 causing connectivity problems - (Some) Users have started to complain about not being able to browse web sites.  Temporary work-around:  Disable the Avast WebShield component.

Avast causing conflicts in Malwarebytes.   Temporary work-around:  Either disable MalwareBytes Web Protection component,  or disable Avast's "Real Site Protection" component.

============================================================================

I'm still running avast 17.8 (released 9 November '17) on my primary Win7 system [and avast 18.3 (released around 1 June '18) on my tertiary WinXP system].   And I can't say I've been experiencing any problems with either.

I believe that problems like those being experienced are intrinsic to avast's insistence on trying to release a "new" sub-build almost monthly, continually adding new "features" [which most users consider to be unwanted "bulk"], without taking the time/effort to fix long-standing known problems :-(   That's why, with each new update, I advise users to proceed with caution.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
ky331
Indium

From https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=222453.0 :

New stable version 18.7.2354  (build 4041) has just been released. This time it's more about fixes and internal improvements.

What's new:

- Passwords now synchronize even better

- Smart Scan now shows you the results of completed scans if you stop it before it’s finished

- Software Updater has moved in menu from Protection to Performance

Fixed:

- You can now minimize games without trouble after a few minutes of play

- No more duplicate dialogs when we detect a phishing scam

- We’ve taken care of those connection problems while activating subscriptions

- We’ve caught and fixed a bug messing with the Windows Security Center registration after a Windows Update

How to install:

1. Update from your existing Avast version via Settings -> Update -> Update program

2. Or you can download and install from here:

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

0 Kudos
ky331
Indium

New stable version 18.8.2356 (build 4084) has just been released.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=223244.0

- fixed critical vulnerability
- last version for Windows XP/Vista

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to install:

1. Update from your existing Avast version via Settings -> Update -> Update program

2. Or you can download and install from here:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ky331
Indium

Just a "heads up" here --- Version 19.x, to be released in December (or January), will be "the first fully 64-bit Avast version" (which, as previously announced, means it's no longer XP/Vista compatible). It also means, that as a complete re-write of its code, "anything can be affected by this change". Caveat Emptor!

0 Kudos
Jeresos
Copper

I like more popular antiviruses. I use Kaspersky for a long time and I like this solution. But I decided to try Avast recently. I like the avast premium review. The system works much faster, I like it.

0 Kudos