Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2010 04:00

Avira antivirus

hi,

I m tring to install avira antivirus personal on windows xp with sp2 and not able to install it. I tried with firefox first and after downloading the file which is shown by download status as completed but not able to run after so many times even after restarting the pc.And if I try with ie 8 after downloading that file with 29mb and try to run that file I get error "windows has detected a serious problem with this file".I don't have any antivirus or antispyware.Previously I had malwarebytes and superantispyware which I removed successfully from add/remove programs and also deleted some manual entries from registry,progrms files,documents and settings etc but not getting any sucess so plz help me through this

20.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 06:00

Hi and Welcome :emotion-1:

The helpers on this forum will need some additional information in order to help you.

windows xp with sp2
Why have you not updated to SP3?

Previously I had malwarebytes and superantispyware which I removed successfully
Why did you remove those? Did you ever have an anti-virus on there? If so, which one?

Why are you installing an anti-virus now, rather than in the past?  Are you currently experiencing symptoms of infection? It might be good to try some online scans to see if malware may be blocking the installation of Avira. Perhaps start with an online scan here:
http://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
This scan works best with IE. Alternate browsers require downloading and installing the ESET Smart Installer.
•    Accept the Terms of Use:
•    Approve the install of the required ActiveX Control, then follow on-screen instructions. 
*  Disable the protection of your resident anti-virus program after installing the
active X control that Eset has installed and again when you actually start scanning.
•    Make sure enable (check) the Remove found threats option is checked, and run the scan.
•    After the scan completes, the Details tab in the Results window will display what was found and removed. A record of these results will be found here: C:\program files\esetonlinescanner\log.txt.
This online scan may take quite a bit of time to complete so please be patient. If necessary, allow the scan to run overnight. Please do not use the machine to do anything else (e.g. browse; check email; chat) until the scan completes.

20.5K Posts

February 25th, 2010 05:00

Perhaps you have some type of malware on your computer that is preventing scans and installation of security. I suggest that you post a log on the Malware Removal Forum.

Please Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

February 22nd, 2010 07:00

as u asked abt uninstallation of previous antiviruses so what i think that superantispyware and malwarebyes are only meant for just scaning for spyware & malware and it is not continuous protection because everytime i scanned my pc with those they always found some infections e.g.trojens and some spyware and if m using any security and don't download so much and getting some infection everytime that's why I want some kind of continuous protection.Could u plz guide me which antivirus/antispyware would be good continuous protection

20.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 09:00

In order to get an anti-virus to install, you will need to FIRST clean the existing trojans and spyware.That is why an online scan would be good to start with. After that, I suggest that you try Microsoft Security Essentials.

February 24th, 2010 22:00

HI Bugbatter,

As u suggested to do online scan with eset online scanner however not able to do the same.I tried to do with ie and after accepting the license got the blank white page with the status bar on the bottom which got stuck after four green squre even after 2 hrs and when done with firefox it got stuck on 51% of download.I don't know was it running or it was stopped bcz I think when we use any scan we can see the status of that means how much has it done instead a blank white internet explorer page so could u plz let me know how to resolve it and thecustom settings for the internet in the security tab for activex are "allow previously unused activex -disable,allow scriplets-disable,automatic promptin for ax-enable,binary and script behaviour-enable,display video and animation-disable,download signed activex-prompt,download unsigned ax-disable,initialize and script ax-disable,only allow approved ax-enable,run activex and download pluggins-enable,script ax and controls-enable.

February 24th, 2010 22:00

HI Bugbatter,

As u suggested to do online scan with eset online scanner however not able to do the same.I tried to do with ie and after accepting the license got the blank white page with the status bar on the bottom which got stuck after four green squre even after 2 hrs and when done with firefox it got stuck on 51% of download.I don't know was it running or it was stopped bcz I think when we use any scan we can see the status of that means how much has it done instead a blank white internet explorer page so could u plz let me know how to resolve it and thecustom settings for the internet in the security tab for activex are "allow previously unused activex -disable,allow scriplets-disable,automatic promptin for ax-enable,binary and script behaviour-enable,display video and animation-disable,download signed activex-prompt,download unsigned ax-disable,initialize and script ax-disable,only allow approved ax-enable,run activex and download pluggins-enable,script ax and controls-enable.

No Events found!