Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2009 16:00

Computer Won't Boot Up - Win32.Mutant.yf - System Restore Not An Option

A few days ago, I started getting pop ups when I opened Firefox and/or IE.  The pop up always uses IE to open itself.  Sometimes no pop up comes up but it still is running something.  When I ctr/alt/del and check the processes, it shows a iexplore.exe, meaning something is running.

I immediately downloaded the latest version of Spybot and it found Win32.Mutant.yf and Virtumonde.  It successfully got rid of Virtumonde but Win32.Mutant.yf comes up every time I run the check, each time its deleted, it comes right back.  Now when I boot up my computer, it gets stuck as its "Starting Windows".  When this happens, the power button on my computer won't even turn it off, I have to unplug it from the wall.

After about a dozen tries, I was able to successfully boot up my computer.  However, its running extremely slow and crashes constantly.   On top of that, System Restore won't work.  When I click "next" to confirm the System Restore Point, my computer does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

20.5K Posts

January 26th, 2009 17:00

The link works for me. It must be your malware that is blocking it.

• See if you can download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool.
  • Click Yes at the prompt for Optional Scan.
  • When done, DDS will open two (2) logs
  • 1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop.
  • Copy/paste both logs to your reply on the forum.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
  • Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

January 26th, 2009 17:00

I'm getting a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error when I try to go to the HJT Installer website that is linked in that post.  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to provide a log when I can't get to the site to download the software.

January 26th, 2009 18:00

Ok, just realized that HJT stands for Highjack This.  Heres the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:38:43 PM, on 1/26/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Qwest\QuickCare\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.lionheartsrealm.com/
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FFC87544-F1EF-4B4B-9CC0-1360AF9B7E8F} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdfvie.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VoiceCenter] "C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QUICKCARE] C:\Program Files\Qwest\QuickCare\bin\sprtcmd.exe /P QUICKCARE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w2/pr02/resources/MSNPUpld.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\System32\eventlog32.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: 28a6f76e509 - C:\WINDOWS\System32\eventlog32.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WinCtrl32 - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WinCtrl32.dll
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

--
End of file - 4515 bytes

January 26th, 2009 18:00

I tried all 3 links and I'm getting the same connection error.  I also just tried to run Spybot again and it won't start.  I should also note that I've tried to reformat my hard drive.  However, when I boot from my Windows cd, my keyboard locks up right as I try to reformat.

I seem to be able to run HijackThis if thats any help.  I'm getting a little nervous since I can't system restore, can't reformat, can't run Spybot and can't visit certain websites.

1 Message

January 26th, 2009 19:00

FYI - my inspiron 1525 also locks up while turning on the PC and Windows is starting up.  I have also reloaded the PC with the CD's that I received with my PC.  My PC is only 2.5 months old.  After reloading Windows and trying to get the PC back to the way when it came out of the box, the PC still locks up.  Dell sent me a "new" hard drive, the PC still locked up.   Dell sent me a 2nd Hard Drive, while the system was trying to load the new hard drive the PC locked up again.  I am now sending my PC to Dell (in TX) for the 2nd time.  I hope this problem gets fixed.

I am planning on loading McAfee on the PC; I hope this might help in the future.

20.5K Posts

January 26th, 2009 20:00

Sorry to hear about your problem, mbjlukas. I hope everything works out for you. If you have a log to post, please start a thread of your own. I will be continuing with Lyon of Sakura because this is his thread.

Lyon of Sakura, I would like you to please run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you cannot download or install it, please note the  special instructions for doing so.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

• If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates,
  • manually download them from here
    and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
    Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer,
    copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes'
    Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

On the Scanner tab:

• Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top.
  • It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully.
  • Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

• Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report along with a fresh HijackThis log into your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note:-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,
you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process.
Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately.
Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine.
If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer),
they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM.
Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "gogetit.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to your CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "gogetit.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

January 27th, 2009 00:00

Thanks for the input but nothing seems to be working, I can't access the links.  I tried downloading Malwarebytes on a clean computer and then copying it to my infected computer.  Thats not working either, when I double click the exe file to start Malwarebytes, nothing happens.  This is happening with just about every program that I have.  Nothing will run, not even Spybot or system restore.

At this point, I am willing to reformat my hard drive but I can't seem to do that either.  I tried using my Windows cd but as I said, my keyboard locks up as soon as I hit "enter" to start the reformatting.  Is there another way to reformat?  I'm using Windows XP if that helps.

Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated!

20.5K Posts

January 27th, 2009 08:00

If you tried renaming Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware BEFORE you tried to transfer to the infected computer, and that did not work, I'd say your best approach would be to reformat. For those steps, and to troubleshoot the keyboard problem, please post on the Operating Systems> Microsoft OS Forum. There really isn't much more we can do as far as cleaning the malware here. Best of luck in getting this resolved.

1 Message

February 14th, 2009 13:00

I ran Mcafee and malwarebytes to remove the new win32. I turned my computer off and now it won't boot. I tried to make it boot in safe mode w networking and normal mode but it gets to the desktop and nothing is there, just the background picture. It won't load anything. What should I do?

20.5K Posts

February 14th, 2009 14:00

I hope everything works out for you. If you have a log to post, please start a thread of your own. I will be continuing with Lyon of Sakura because this is his thread.

No Events found!