Highlighted
fulbrooke
Copper

Critical BIOS Update alert allegedly from Dell Support Centre, but from an unidentified publisher.

Jump to solution

When I started my computer this morning (I am in the UK), I was greeted with an alert, allegedly from Dell Support Centre saying that my laptop needed a critical BIOS Update. When I went through the initial motions of downloading 1525_A16.exe, I found that it came from an unidentified publisher, so I did not run it. Has anyone else had this worrying alert?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I am running Vista.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
N/A

Re: Critical BIOS Update alert allegedly from Dell Support Centre, but from an unidentified publisher.

Jump to solution

Hi fulbrooke and welcome,

If I was you I would ignore this update unless it fixes a specific problem you are having. BIOS updates can be tricky and could potentially cause irreparable damage if done incorrectly.

I presume THIS

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is the update you are talking of, since it is only a recommended update, I would leave well enough alone.

Best to always go by the rule - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

0 Kudos
fulbrooke
Copper

Re: Critical BIOS Update alert allegedly from Dell Support Centre, but from an unidentified publisher.

Jump to solution

Dear Red Dawn

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and for locating the update which seems after all to be genuine. Seeing that it was a critical BIOS update from an unidentified publisher, I was extremely suspicious to say the least. and in fact I thought it must contain a virus.

If it weren't such a business getting in touch with Dell now that my warranty has expired, I would give them a piece of my mind.

Thanks once again

0 Kudos
N/A

Jump to solution

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

0 Kudos
riney1045
Copper

RE: Critical BIOS Update alert allegedly from Dell Support Centre, but from an unidentified publisher.

Jump to solution

I received the notice also, I am in California, United States. When I started to download it as  I though it came from Dell, I noticed the title was not Dell, so I did not download it either. I feel uncomfortable about this. 

0 Kudos