Highlighted
8 Krypton

DELL "PREMIUM EXPERTS" COULD NOT FIX NEW XPS 8700

For over a month I have struggled with browser hijackings, demands to "upgrade," and various other messages that would attach to downloads, searches, and programs. Virus removal would work for a few days but the issues would return, even after a factory reset that wasted hours of time. I have now found the cause, 3 malicious programs that were hidden, and when found, refused to delete. They were Password Reader, PC UPDATE, and Driver Utility. Super Antispyware Professional removed them. I am totally clueless as to how I picked these up unless during a search for new canon printer drivers they snuck in. McAfee did not catch nor prevent them. That is why I prefer Norton. I am concerned that Dell's expert technicians could not catch this rather obvious cure. I was ready to throw an expensive computer out and buy an Apple. This is not a good way to win friends and sell computers. Lawrence

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: DELL "PREMIUM EXPERTS" COULD NOT FIX NEW XPS 8700

There is something wrong with forum posting.

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Lawrence,

I am concerned that Dell's expert technicians could not catch this rather obvious cure.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. When it comes to malware you are better off going to a UNITE forum where the staff has been trained in research and analysis and has access to specialized tools. Their staff has a year or more of intense training. Last time I checked, Dell Techs were trained for much less time and training was done differently. 
McAfee did not catch nor prevent them. That is why I prefer Norton.
I'm not sure Norton would have done better. ESET probably would have done the best job. It is aggressive in finding potentially unwanted applications such as those.
If your computer is running Windows 8.8.1, Defender is already on there. Combine that with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and you will be in good shape. You will, however, need to remove all of McAfee before enabling Defender.

Windows Insider MVP 2016 -

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos
dawalsh65
1 Copper

Why is Dell continuing to McAfee virus software? They have been known to create their own viruses in order to get customers to come back to their software. I don't understand why a good company like dell would align themselves with a horrible comapny like McAfee.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I had McAfee several years ago.  It was very troublesome.  I am very happy with Norton 360.  It evaluates websites before you open them as well as other great features.  I picked up several malicious webpages and a trojan before removing them and switching to Norton..  Dell evaluates antivirus programs in a different way.  Is it good business for a reasonable product.

PainDoc 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Why is Dell continuing to McAfee virus software? They have been known to create their own viruses in order to get customers to come back to their software. I don't understand why a good company like dell would align themselves with a horrible comapny like McAfee.

Dell and other OEM's pre-install anti-virus software for business reasons.
dawalsh65, you have made some unsubstantiated allegations. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that.

Pre-installed AV's can be removed from new computers very easily with a two-step process using Windows to uninstall and following with the vendor's removal tool to clean any remnants. The entire procedure takes about 3 minutes. I've done that with many new computers that have been loaded with McAfee or Norton, regardless of the OEM.

Windows Insider MVP 2016 -

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos