Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2015 09:00

Dell Support Assist reporting two McAfee Antivirus Running at the same time.

This problem showed up in Dell Support Assist after Window Update installed several updates to my Win 8.1 new Dell 8700 desktop. I haven't done anything to install McAfee again. I checked Program Files and McAfee is installed once. I do not know what to do to correct this. I checked Windows Uninstall in Control Panel and it shows McAfee once in the list of programs that can be uninstalled.

Weird!  Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any help would be appreciated. I've worked with PC's since 1983 and have extensive experience in troubleshooting. This has me stumped though.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 19th, 2015 11:00

Are they both the same process, or is McAfee running 2 different processes for different functions that get listed separately in Support Assist?

What do you see in Task Manager?

5 Posts

May 19th, 2015 12:00

Task Manager shows one McAfee running.  Support Assist says two Antivirus Software products are running simultaneously.  When I click on the incident in Support Assist for details it shows McAfee twice.

I know McAfee is running several different processes as it should.  Support Assist is saying two Antivirus Software Packages are running at the same time (i.e. McAfee is running and another product like Kaspersky is running).  I only have McAfee loaded on my PC. No other Antivirus or Internet Security Software is on my PC.

Thanks for trying to help!

5 Posts

May 19th, 2015 13:00

I was using McAfee and Kaspersky only as an example.

Support Assist shows:

Antivirus Conflict. You have more than one antivirus software enabled. This can lead to conflicts that may impact performance.

The "above message" shows up twice in Support Assist.

I look at the details for each of the "above messages" and it says:

McAfee Antivirus and Antispyware       Enabled

McAfee Antivirus and Antispyware       Enabled

Windows Defender                               Disabled

I only activated McAfee 12 month license, "one time".  This was not a problem on my PC until I went to shut down on the night of 5/17/15. During that shutdown Windows Update ran installing several Windows 8.1 updates.

When I booted up the morning of 5/18/15 Dell Support Assist popped up with the message about two Antivirus and Antispyware software products being enabled.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 19th, 2015 13:00

Now you've confused me.

If Support Assist lists McAfee twice, why are you saying  "Support Assist is saying two Antivirus Software Packages are running at the same time (i.e. McAfee is running and another product like Kaspersky is running)?

You may actually have either Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender (depending on version of Windows), but that should get disabled when McAfee is running.

I don't know if Support Assist would list McAfee twice if 2 separate McAfee functions (processes) are running. Somebody who uses both would have to check for you...

Is it possible you have a 30-day free McAfee trial and a paid McAfee subscription for this system, so Support Assist is seeing double?

5 Posts

May 19th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for the suggestion!  Think I'll give it a try!

20.5K Posts

May 19th, 2015 15:00

tarheelagn,

If you would like to post at SpywareHammer, they can give you a script to run that will identify and show the status of all security on your computer.

1 Message

July 17th, 2015 12:00

I have this same issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 20th, 2015 10:00

One is legit and the other is malware.  Time to run McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) and reinstall.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

IMPORTANT: Do Not download and save MCPR for future use. MCPR is updated periodically as new products are released, and running an older version might cause problems with new products. Always return to this article and download MCPR again when you need to run it.

1 Message

January 10th, 2017 18:00

I'm experiencing the exact same problem.  Is there any way to confirm that this last response is actually true?  The poster offers no credentials, and I'm reluctant to trust anything I can't confirm.  Secondly, from where might I have obtained this "malware" and through what process was it installed.  I'm RELIGIOUSLY diligent about monitoring every download and installation to make sure I don't allow something like this to happen.  Knowing what to look for in the future would be a great benefit.

No Events found!