Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 20th, 2016 03:00

Dell to Customers: Report ‘Service Tag’ Scams

Computer maker Dell is asking for help in an ongoing probe into the source of customer information that appears to have somehow landed in the laps of fraudsters posing as Dell computer support technicians. KrebsOnSecurity readers continue to report being called by scammers posing as Dell support personnel who offer “proof” that they’re with Dell by rattling off the unique Dell “service tag” code printed on each Dell customer’s PC or laptop, as well as information from any previous (legitimate) service issues the customer may have had with Dell.

Article continues:   http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/dell-to-customers-report-service-tag-scams/

2 Posts

February 24th, 2016 17:00

That happened to me last year right after I purchased an extended warranty...The next day I started receiving phone calls with my name, cell phone number, home number and service tag.  What do you need from me.

2.2K Posts

February 24th, 2016 18:00

This all appears to be an inside job...Dell should launch an internal investigation

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 25th, 2016 11:00

Anybody who gets one of these scammer calls pretending to be Dell Tech Support should report it to Dell using this form.

That link is to a secure (https:) page so it should be safe to submit all the requested info to Dell. The more they can learn about the scammers, the sooner they'll be able to stop them.

1 Message

February 26th, 2016 13:00

I got to the form from a link on this forum and filled it out. I also suggested, via the survey, that they post a link to the form directly from Dell's home page for the benefit of those who think they're being scammed.

For what it's worth, I'll add that the person who phoned me identified himself as "Eddie Brown" and gave a callback number of 425-998-2374, ext. 5790, although the caller number came up as 800-425-2067. He "identified" himself by reciting my Service tag number. How on earth did he get that? Was Dell hacked?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 26th, 2016 17:00

How on earth did he get that? Was Dell hacked?

Good questions...

2 Posts

February 28th, 2016 11:00

Unbelievable...If you do a google search of 425-998-2374 it's some kind of scam number.  I believe Dell was either hacked or those working for Dell gave out personal information in return for some kind of money.  After I renewed a warranty, the next day I started getting calls that my computer was infected.  They knew all my personal information as well as the service tag number.  The only tip off for me was that I was called on my cell phone.  I never give out my cell phone.  When I responded, call me on my home phone an hour later, I was called.  Definitely a breach  -- either Dell was hacked or employees giving out personal info...It's one or the other for sure...

No Events found!