Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LD

July 25th, 2017 18:00

DriverToaster.exe is reporting that “The parameter is incorrect.”

I got this error tonight.  Apparently a few others as well.  One poster on supersuser,com believes it is a problem with SupportAssist?

First time I have seen it.  Anything to worry about?

Louis

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 26th, 2017 07:00

Can you confirm the utility's name?

I have searched my system and do not see such a utility available.  When I checked the internet, it showed Toaster.exe as a notification component of WinAmp.

I would suggest you search your system for it and make note of the path to it and what the properties show as to who owns it.  If it is a current component on your system you may need an update.

21 Posts

July 26th, 2017 14:00

This is what was posted by another user on superuser.com responding on this error:

t would appear that this is one of the parts of the Dell SupportAssist tool. The AppxManifest.xml in the directory:

DisplayName="Dell SupportAssist" Description="SupportAssist Driver Update"

It appears that this is a legitimate program preinstalled by Dell, and not a drive-by malware download. It could be simply a bug or inability to contact a Dell server.

The full AppxManifest.xml

schemas.microsoft.com/.../windows10"
xmlns:uap="schemas.microsoft.com/.../windows10"
xmlns:rescap="schemas.microsoft.com/.../restrictedcapabilities">

SupportAssist Driver Update
    Dell Inc.
    Assets\SupportAssist.150x150.png

1 Message

July 27th, 2017 14:00

The same error on my computer lists this path:  

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DriverToaster_1.3.0.0_x86_rqs2nt378nwsp\DriverToaster.exe

1 Message

July 27th, 2017 18:00

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 27th, 2017 20:00

You have confirmed it is from Support Assistant.  My version of pdclauncher.exe is from 5/29/2017.  Yours might be a different version or needs and updated. 

As you stated, it may be a temporary situation and will fix itself.

Access to the folder you show is not allowed so I can not check that exact file.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2017 21:00

I received this today for the first time after upgrading to windows 1703 (creator), maybe the link.

1 Message

August 1st, 2017 10:00

Is anyone here getting the register now nag in the notifications right after getting the error and clicking ok?  Because I know I am.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 1st, 2017 15:00

I am getting the registration notice on one system.  I am not getting the error.  I cannot find the .xml file referenced.  If anyone has the path to the file it might help, assuming you are even supposed to have it.

If I open Support Assistant and check the notifications I see a small triangle which is for the registration notification.

October 8th, 2017 08:00

Access to "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" is denied, but you should get access to folders nested within, i.e. "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DriverToaster_1.3.0.0_x86__rqs2nt378nwsp".

BTW: in this folder you can find the "The AppxManifest.xml" for  DriverToaster/SupportAssist.

1 Message

October 10th, 2017 06:00

My computer just showed this to me too!

Did anyone figure out what this is?

1 Message

October 27th, 2017 12:00

I have been getting similar error since a few days now. 

I definitely think it has something to do with the Dell support assist.

1 Message

November 1st, 2017 21:00

My XML file says:

MaxVersionTested="10.0.15063.0"

But Fall creators update is 10.0.16299.19.

I guess Support Assist needs an update.

February 19th, 2018 11:00

I have spoken to Dell Tech Support this afternoon, and the TSR says DriverToaster is NOT a part of the Dell SupportAssist module.

My error message is that the device, path, or file cannot be found, and queries whether I need admin privileges to access the item.

22 Posts

May 4th, 2018 11:00

So, now that this annoying problem has been identified, has anyone determined what the solution is? Uninstall dell support assist, or...? Windows 10 is already annoying, so compounding it with "DriverToaster.exe parameter is not correct" alerts is only making matters worse. 

TIA,

Umrk

No Events found!