Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2014 14:00

Fake Dell Customer Support Call

I have received 3 phishing calls from an offshore organization pretending to be Dell Customer Suppor and trying to con me to give them access to my computer.

Monday, a person called me from the number 499-492-6931 and introduced themselves as Sam, a Dell Tech Support, with an Indian accent. They explained that from the Dell software on my computer they noticed that while not infected my computer had received a number of attacks recently and to better protect it they wanted to perform some Windows "RUN" features that entailed typing "eventvwr" in the run box.

As she asked me to do this I Googled what she was telling me as I don't accept unsolicited calls and immediately saw "SCAM" warnings in the descriptions of the URLs that appeared in the Google listings. I told her I knew that it was a scam and that I was ending the call and hung up.

Apparently, they think I am extremely dumb, or now have identified my number as a Dell PC user and I have received two calls today. Both from 800-254-1254. On the first one they left an unintentional voice message where an Indian woman is laughing with her co-worker and on the 2nd I answered and told her I knew she was trying to scam me and she immediately hung up.

I don't know if Dell can work with the phone companies to block these calls and possibly try to see who owns them to go after these people. They are now an annoyance to me as they have my number and are repeatedly calling me.  There will unfortunately be people who fall for it, particularly elderly people who might be more trusting.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 15th, 2014 15:00

Good catch!

I doubt Dell can block these scammers, unfortunately. I get such phone calls from time to time. They typically ask you to open Event Viewer, which always shows insignificant "errors" to demonstrate you have non-existent problems. Their goal is to get you to turn over remote control of your PC.

The fact is that neither Dell nor Microsoft can remotely monitor your PC for infections or other problems (unless you permit it). All such cold calls claiming otherwise are scams.

Although such callers often have thick foreign accents, I have seen recent reports of callers with no accent originating presumably from North America.

I have fun with these scammers. When I recognise a scammer's number in call display, I answer with "911 - what is the nature of your emergency?" Or I will play dumb, and string them along to waste their time. Sooner or later they will get the message, and leave you alone.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2014 12:00

I have received several calls in the last couple of weeks.  First they tell me that they've picked up a problem with my computer.  The other day they said that my Foxfire was causing problem.  I said, "you are a liar because I don't have Foxfire, you stupid idiot."  I hung up of course.  I want to know how they know I have a Dell, or are they just phishing to find out if I do?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 26th, 2014 13:00

These "cold calls" are phishing attempts trying to catch unsuspecting victims... and you'd be surprised how many people fall for it.  :emotion-7:

Neither Microsoft nor DeLL would ever call you to advise you of problems on your computer.   You just have to be aware it's a scam, and hang-up on them.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 26th, 2014 16:00

Also got one of these calls saying my Dell PC had "just sent out a warning about malware". Except my PC hadn't been on since the previous evening. When I mentioned that, he said it could still wake itself up and send an alert.

And when I said my PC was turned off at the surge protector (true) and had no way to get power, the response was....    :emotion-2:

If you'd said you didn't have a Dell, they would have probably said, "Sorry, we meant HP...".  Just a bunch of creeps trying to sucker people into giving them money and access to their systems so they can install malware.

No Events found!