Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 18:00

Firefox "bug": Extensions unsupported

While using Firefox, I received a message that "one" of my extensions was unsupported... when I tried to check it out, it seemed that virtually all were (suddenly) unsupported.

Apparently, this is a major bug, impacting many users, as reported here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkfte9/if_you_have_issues_with_your_addons_being_marked/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 4th, 2019 04:00

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/04/your-firefox-extensions-are-all-disabled-thats-a-bug/

"Users should not remove affected extensions from their installations; the issue will resolve itself once Mozilla fixes it."

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 4th, 2019 11:00

Firefox is now pushing out a fix using its "studies" feature... check your OPTIONS to be sure you have "studies" allowed. 

Tools /  Options ->

Privacy & Security ->

Firefox Data Collection and Use

Allow Firefox to install and run studies

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 5th, 2019 15:00

Firefox Version 66.0.4,  May 5, 2019

Fixed

Note:  A small number of add-ons may be listed as unsupported or may not appear in about:addons. Their data is not lost; users should be able to re-install the add-ons and recover the data (Bug 1549129). More support information

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 6th, 2019 12:00

You must be reading my mind..! :Wink:

I got a notice from FF 66.0.3 this morning that a new update was available. I clicked "not now" and the unsupported extensions warning banner popped up. I clicked the banner and it said "no extensions fit this description" (or something similar).

Odd because I've been using 66.0.3 for more than a week and never saw that warning before before today. Makes me wonder what suddenly changed.  And even odder that none of my extensions fit the description. So why did I even get the warning..??

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 6th, 2019 15:00

Ron,

Did you have FF set to allow "studies" (see my post above)?

If so, it's possible:

1) you got the warning message BEFORE the study's fix was run.

2) but by the time you checked, AFTER the study's fix was run, you no longer had any extensions that fit the bad description.

I realize this is a stretch, but it could explain the behavior.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 6th, 2019 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion...

Have never enabled "studies" in FF. I disable stuff like that whenever I install any new software, regardless of whence it came. Who wants anyone snooping on my PC and browsing habits? :Wink:

I clicked the banner about disabled extensions as soon as I saw it this morning. Unlikely enough time to run any fixes, even if studies had been enabled.

And if this was the problem, why did the message only show up today, rather than right after I updated to 66.0.3 a while back? Some piece(s) ain't fitting...

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 6th, 2019 21:00

Firefox has never been my default browser, although I always kept an updated copy on my systems. (It has been my go-to browser for those rare occasions when I need to have Flash enabled - I do not have Flash on my other browsers).

So this latest fiasco did not affect me, and seems to be resolved. The only extension that was temporarily disabled  was uBlock Origin.

I am disturbed to learn that Firefox has a data skimming program and "studies" that can install software without notification and explicit permission. I have disabled that particular "install studies" default permission in Firefox.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 7th, 2019 08:00

@joe53 wrote:

Firefox has never been my default browser, although I always kept an updated copy on my systems. (It has been my go-to browser for those rare occasions when I need to have Flash enabled - I do not have Flash on my other browsers).

So this latest fiasco did not affect me, and seems to be resolved. The only extension that was temporarily disabled  was uBlock Origin.

I am disturbed to learn that Firefox has a data skimming program and "studies" that can install software without notification and explicit permission. I have disabled that particular "install studies" default permission in Firefox.

Prying eyes are EVERYWHERE these days... :Ick:

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 7th, 2019 15:00

Firefox Version 66.0.5 (May 7, 2019)

Fixed

-------------------------------------------

Available via the internal updater:  Help / About Firefox

No Events found!