hauglid
1 Nickel

Found Trojan Horse on 4550 dimension, running windows xp home edition

The first problem was, the system would not boot. I did a repair and install of windows xp and this got the system up and running. Now when I did the windows updates and service pack 2 install, all that worked great. I did a system scan of viruses and it found a trojan horse virus that could not be fixed, so I did a quarantine on it. Once this was done the popup came up for windows update for service pack 2 again, with other updates with this update. I did everything it said and did a reboot afterwards and the system would not reboot. What can be causing this problem? Is it the trojan horse virus that it causing it to not boot? Can someone help me out with this problem.

P.S. The reason why I did a system repair is because it would not boot at all, it would go to windows xp again and again and again, never did boot at all. That's when I decided to do a system repair on the system.

Thanks, Bonnie
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lamakk
2 Iron

Re: Found Trojan Horse on 4550 dimension, running windows xp home edition

What is the name of the trojan horse?
0 Kudos
hauglid
1 Nickel

I don't know what the name is because I can't get the system to boot at all. Once I got it up and running and did a windows update and clicked the restart after the update was done, it wouldn't boot back up. I don't know what else to do than to do another system repair to get it up and running again. What is your advice on this?

Bonnie

0 Kudos
Lamakk
2 Iron

• run the repair again
  • manually remove the trojan horse
  • re-scan drives
0 Kudos
hauglid
1 Nickel

How do I manually remove the virus?

Bonnie

0 Kudos
Lamakk
2 Iron

After you run the repair, get the name of the Trojan Horse. Depending on the antivirus software you use, that manufacturer may have a removal tool for it. Normally a small executable file that can be downloaded from their respective website.

If there is no tool, boot into safe mode; Delete the infected files, and all system restore points. Scan all drives again to make sure all infected files were deleted. Then reboot.

0 Kudos