Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2008 01:00

Generic PUP.x

Does anyone know how to remove this program Generic PUP.x?

McAfee detect the program but it cannot remove it.

Appreciate if anybody can advise how to remove the program?

Just wondering whether does reinstalling Windows XP help to remove the program?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 18th, 2008 05:00

Grace,

"Generic.PUP.x" tells us something about the type of program McAfee allegedly found, but it does not tell us the specifics about the NAME / purpose of that particular program.   without more information, we really can't answer your question.

"Generic.PUP" is especially ambiguous:

1)  Generic often refers to heuristic scanning --- saying they think it's probably bad, because it "kinda smells" bad.   But they really don't know that for a fact.

2) PUP stands for Potentially Unwanted Program.   A PUP may or may not be a legitimate program --- the bottom line here being, the user has to determine, for herself, whether it's a program she intentionally put on her machine, and really wants to keep there... or if it is something that "snuck" its way in, and is really "malware".    For example, I use a program called "Sidestep", which I obtained from USAir, and which helps me locate cheap airfares.   while seaching, the program includes advertisements for the different airlines, and as such, is considered to be "adware" according to most definitions.   But since I intentionally/knowingly downloaded and installed it onto my system, and since I use it for the benefit of finding cheap airfares (and cheap hotels), the program is useful to me, and has its merits.   in other words, there's good (cheap airfares) and bad (some innocuous advertsing specifically for airlines/hotels).   such combination makes it a PUP --- potentially unwanted:   for those who did not knowingly/intenionally install it.    

so you see, it may depend very much on WHAT the particular PUP was in your case.  

19 Posts

December 18th, 2008 14:00

Hi

Thank you for explaining what Generic.PUP.x means. I am puzzled what this program is all about.

I have reinstall Windows XP and install some programs which I need for work. I don't really know which program(s) installed this Generic.PUP.x on my PC.

What I do know is that McAfee detect this program when it tries to connect to the internet. The Gizmo IT technician told me that McAfee would prevent this program from activiating. So even McAfee cannot remove it my PC is "safe".

When I tried to uninstall or remove this program the message I encounter is that it can only be remove when I uninstall the vendor's program.

So the question is that I don't even know which program is the program that install this Generic.PUP.x on my PC!

And I am uanble whether it is harmless or harmful to my PC. I ask for help to remove this program because my PC tends to hang after 1 - 2 hours.

The most obvious problem I encounter is my music playback using ITUNES or Windows Media Player using speakers or earphones start to get distorted or did not play smoothly/break up/trailed off. This problem happens when I play mp3 or geninue music CDs.

Then my mouse start to react slowly and in worse case I will lose interent connection.

Some pros on the Dell Community hardware forum is convinced that my PC has a malware or virus installed on my PC which both McAfee and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 cannot detect or remove the program.

Is it possible for malware or virus to survive an reinstallation of Windows XP? Yesterday I just got a motherboard replacement so the pros are convinced it is a malware or virus causing me to experience problem after 1-2 hours.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 18th, 2008 15:00

Grace,

I'm not sure I followed everything you just wrote...

My understanding is that you have reinstalled Windows to remove the PUP problem.   While nothing can be guaranteed (since we don't have enough details), I don't believe that a PUP would "survive" a reinstall. 

You also indicated your main complaint is that music does not play "smoothly".   In my opinion --- contrary to what the hardware forum has suggested --- I don't believe that would be a virus/spyware problem.

I don't know that there's anything more for me to write/suggest here... perhaps someone else will offer you another idea

20.5K Posts

December 18th, 2008 18:00

As ky331 mentioned this may not be a virus or Trojan. It may have been been installed by a user individually or possibly as a part of a software package (in a bundle, for example).

What is the exact message that McAfee gives you? Are there any numbers after "Generic PUP.x"?

Try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Notes:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "catchjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "catchjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

Download and scan with Super Anti-Spyware Free for Home Users. It is available HERE:
*Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

19 Posts

December 18th, 2008 23:00

Last week I reinstalled Windows XP after I was advised by a Dell Technician over the phone. I reinstall Microsoft Office applications, ITUNES, IE, Firefox, McAfee, QuickTime, RealPlayer and etc.

When I scanned my PC using McAfee I notice this unwanted program Generic PUP.x. McAfee only detect this program. There are no number found behind this program. Just Generic PUP.X

I don't which program installed this Generic PUP.x. What I know is that when this program tries to connect to the internet, McAfee will block this program.

I brought this issue up because I thought my PC hanging problem was caused by malware or virus.

I also thought the music did not playback smoothly because of hardware problem so Dell replaced the motherboard. Actually my mouse starts to react slow eg it does not move until I tried to move the mouse repeatedly. The typing capabilities also suffer. Eg apple becomes aple because the PC did not record by keystroke; maybe I type too fast. In some situations I will lose internet connection and I am forced to reboot the PC.

After the reboot my PC will function normally until 1-2 hours. Then everything repeats again.

What happened after the motherboard replacement (which was done yesterday morning) was that I still encounter the music playback problem after using the PC for 1-2 hours.

Hence the pros on Dell Forum for hardware suggests that my PC is infected by malware or virus.

19 Posts

December 19th, 2008 02:00

Hi Bugbatter

Thank for advice. I have downloaded the 2 softwares and scanned my PC.

No malicious virus was found. Some adware were found and removed using Malware.

Can I sidetrack and ask a question on Windows Live Messenger? If I use Messenger for video conference, is it normal to lose internet connection after 2 hours?

I am wondering whether Messenger is the cause of PC hanging. My messenger starts up when I start my PC.

Recently there are a lot of fake messages from my contacts requesting that I visit suspicious websites.

1 Message

January 6th, 2009 04:00

Grace,

I to got a MaCafee generic pup.x message yesterday. Could not get rid of it. Ran Mcafee scan again.

When scan ended mac gave me the results. Asked me if I wanted to see them I hit ok. Gave me another little pop up screen saying would I like to do something about it. I hit OK again.

Another pop up sceen asked me if I wanted to remove it or save it. I hit remove and it was gone. Macafee blows my

mind every once in a while. Stay by your PC until scan ends. These notification screens only stay up about 30 seconds Good Luck.

No Events found!