Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2016 13:00

Help disabling all Anti-virus/Firewall programs on to run System Restore

As of yesterday, my Inspiron 3520 with Windows 10 on it refuses to run certain apps and my Internet browsers because of some update or something. It was working fine earlier in the day, but for some reason it stopped working as of last night with anything I had used earlier in the day. I hadn't used it for a while before then due to some technical problems, so it was kind of being a pain and I did have to do hard shutdowns at times, but I doubt that caused this.

I've tried running System Restore to hopefully go back before this started earlier in the day, but it keeps saying an anti-virus program is preventing it. I have several programs installed, even if I shouldn't, I know. I've tried disabling them via Services in the Task Manager, but can't see/get them all and don't wish to uninstall any I don't think I can get back later. As well as the firewall, since that sometimes interferes, at least in my experience, I believe.

Does anyone know how I can turn off whatever Firewall/Virus programs are currently running to try to fix this issue with my browsers and apps by doing a successful System Restore? Again, in Windows 10. Since I called Dell and they couldn't help the way I wanted to, since it's been a while since I called last and got the Out of Warranty Help division.

And I keep getting error code 0x80070005 and it's saying an anti-virus program is probably blocking it from completing. Hopefully, this is where I can get some help on this, given the uniqueness of this situation.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

October 5th, 2016 06:00

It sounds like you have SEVERAL anti-virus programs installed.

You didn't specifically mention any name... but IF one of them is avast, open the user interface by clicking on the Avast ball in your system tray, click on the "gear" (SETTINGS) menu toward the upper right, select TROUBLESHOOTING on the left, UNcheck the box marked "Enable Avast self-defense module", and click on OK.

See if that helps.

3 Posts

October 5th, 2016 13:00

I know I didn't, since this was my first post in the Dell forums and I didn't know if it'd be posted here, if this was even the right area to be asking (even if it was in regards to anti-virus stuff), etc. As far as what I have... well, Verizon Internet Security Suite is my primary one afaik, but I also have McAfee that I believe still somehow works despite not renewing it since a trial/one-year version was bought with my current laptop. I do also sort of have as trial/free versions PCKeeper/PCKeeper Antivirus, PC Scan & Repair by Reimage, Piriform CCleaner, and despite not being an anti-virus program Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Pretty sure that's all of them...

Of course, since my post I was able to sort of do a System Restore, but it didn't complete successfully again for a different reason than before, being unable to delete an older version of a McAfee file. And I can't redo it for something that I messed with as a result of after my one that sort of worked for the most part, even if I did redo what I removed on the Start menu (but thought it wouldn't be the same as before), have my browsers working, and at least one of the programs I tried that wasn't working before. Of course, one is still not working (Microsoft *** for Xbox Live), but I assume I can fix that by uninstalling, then reinstalling it; even if I didn't want to have to do that. Though I assume any progress I made in the game will be kept, since I've been playing it with an Xbox account and not just on Windows.

But to be clearer: I was looking for an easy way to turn off antivirus programs altogether (or at least whichever ones are running), since I know a way to turn them ON if they're OFF, but not vice-versa without uninstalling or again, going into Task Manager and turning off as many services as I'm aware of, but I dunno if that's working anymore/at all. Even if I fixed what happened recently for the most part, I dunno if this issue will continue when I need to do future System Restores for whatever reason.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

October 5th, 2016 13:00

The procedure to (temporarily) disable an anti-virus can vary based on each program.   I can speak about avast, which I use, and with which I'm most familiar:   under its Settings / Components listing, there is a simple way to turn off [and back on] each of its major shields (file shield, web shield, mail shield).

I don't know about McAfee nor other anti-viruses... you'll have to check each one to see where --- if at all --- they have a (temporarily) disable option.   If you're looking for a "generic" windows setting which will "universally" disable any antivirus program(s) running, I don't believe there is such a thing.

Also:   Keep in mind that even if you can (temporarily) disable an anti-virus' resident "shields", there will still be low-level protective drivers running.   Drivers start at boot-up, and can't be disabled.   So if it's a anti-virus driver that's interfering with your system restore, simply disabling the anti-virus won't have any effect on its driver's interference.

If you need additional help (and it sounds like you might), you should follow the directions at http://spywarehammer.com/post-here-for-malware-removal/(new-instructions!)-what-do-i-do-first/ to register for a free account at SpywareHammer , and post the requested logs.  There are expert helpers there who can "walk you through" procedures to analyze your system, and clean-up the problem.   All help provided there is FREE.   If you decide to go for help there, please wait for a response, and do NOT attempt to run any other scans/removers on your own --- do exactly what they instruct you to do, no more, no less.

Good luck!
No Events found!