temp4
1 Nickel

Hot off the press!!

Emsi and Tall Emu Announce Tech Alliance

Google Translated announcement:
translate.google.com/translate?u···ie=UTF-8

The announcement in PDF on the a-squared news page;
www.emsisoft.de/de/company/press/

The Freeware bundle is already available at emsisoft.com, a-squared Free + OA Free.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/

And a Special offer in March: 30% discount for a-squared Anti-Malware + OA paid.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/order/antimalware/

"The product lineups at Emsi and TE will stay the same.

We aren't forcing anything.In Online Armor AV+, we've ripped out the KAV engine and added in the dual Emsi/Icarus engine."

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1416415&postcount=15

More here at Wilders.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=234937

I know many people aren't fond of, or don't like the idea of All-in-One Suites, but you have to admit, this sounds like a pretty awesome combo.

Posted by Red Dawn.

(This is a temporary account as I'm having trouble at the moment logging in with my original)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dalem29
4 Germanium

Re: Hot off the press!!

Just received word today from the A-Sqared update about the change.  I have the the free version that was specially offered a few months ago.  I supposed they need to do this for financial reasons. I will check into it and would be interested in everyone else's views and their observations if they have already downloaded and installed this package.

0 Kudos
joe53
5 Tungsten

Dale and RD:

I'm on record as being a big fan of a-squared Free. That it is now being offered bundled with Online Armor's Free Firewall may well prove to be a good thing, as my experience with OA's free FW was very positive, and of course many will recall that Scot Finnie's extensive FW review named OA the best FW overall (the paid version). It certainly was the most user-friendly 3rd party FW reviewed.

I also have the paid version of a-squared Anti-Malware, which has many added features and real-time protection that make it very attractive. Yet I do not use its resident protection (Background Guard) on my PC, since it includes the AV engine from Ikarus. Nothing wrong with Ikarus; it is a reputable AV, but I am reluctant to abandon my own paid standalone AV of choice in favor of one included in what is increasingly looking like a suite. (The Ikarus AV module cannot be independently disabled in A2 AM). Ikarus does not submit to testing by AV-Comparatives, nor to certification by Virus Bulletin (VB100), but does test well at AV-Test.

For those who prefer the convenience and guaranteed compatibility of a suite, however, the combination of a-squared, Ikarus, and the Online Armor FW in a paid suite looks promising, and at a good price. I won't be testing it, but will also be interested in the thoughts of anyone that tries it.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
dalem29
4 Germanium

Hi Joe:

I just wanted to verify something before I download the combo. Back in August I downloaded the A Squared AM 4 Free, and that was a special offer, good for 12 months, that included the Background Guard feature.  If gives a rare alert about this or that, but OA usually asks most of the questions. Do you know if this is using the Ikarus engine or is it using something else. There is nothing I can see in the features that talk of having any AV capability. So at present I am using Avast Free with, Online Armor as my FW, and using A Squared AM with the Background Guard active.. Can you tell me if this new free combo package has any AV capability or would that just be in the paid version. Hope I have made this clear enough! 

0 Kudos
joe53
5 Tungsten

Dale:

As far as I know, the a-squared Anti-Malware (Background Guard) with the Ikarus AV engine does not include resident AV protection. I consider the Ikarus engine as a separate on-demand AV scanner. In other words, the paid A2-AM does nor replace the need for a separate resident AV program.

I presume that any new combo offer that includes A2, OA and Ikarus, whether paid or free, does not include any resident AV protection. I could be wrong. You might get better clarification on the a-squared Anti-Malware forum:
http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=2

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos