flash889
2 Iron

How good is Windows Defender?

Is Windows Defender any good at all? I mean how is its detection and false positive rating? Also, is it good for warding off hackers and other hijackers? Finally, has anyone tries the ad-aware Se personal edition, and what are your thoughts on it?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
joe53
5 Tungsten

Re: How good is Windows Defender?

I waited til Windows Defender came out of beta (and MS sure took a long time to work out the bugs before releasing it) before I installed it. It has given me no problems ever since. No false positives. It is the only anti-spyware I keep resident (running all the time in the background). I found it easy to install and configure, with a user-friendly interface. And I haven't seen many posts in various forums complaining of problems with it.

A good review of Defender (albeit the beta version) is here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windefender_beta2.asp

I concur with the above reviewer's conclusion:
"Windows Defender Beta 2 combines the best-of-breed spyware detection and removal functionality from the old Giant Antispyware product and turns it into a stellar application that all Windows users should immediately download and install. Lightweight, effective, and unobtrusive, Windows Defender is anti-spyware done right, and I still consider this to be the best anti-spyware solution on the market. Highly recommended."

As far as Lavasoft's Ad-AwareSE personal goes, it also comes well-recommended. Unless you purchase the paid version, it provides no real-time protection, but is still a good on-demand scanner.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
helmecj01
4 Germanium

hi

I think it is good and free to download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&displaylang=en

from Chris

Dell Dimension 1100
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3
2GB of Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
Dell E196FP
HDD WDC WD800BB-75JHCO 80GB C:
HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C 😧
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 90
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.6

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

My Security Software
Avanquest SystemSuite 9 Professional
Windows Defender

0 Kudos
Dr. Lawrence Ho
4 Beryllium

Windows Defender seems to work very well.  Important for me, it is compatible with McAfee.  I also run SpySweeper , but only to block cookies  and some ads real time.  Seeps by Windows Defender, SpySweeper amd Spyware Doctor are always negative.  Spyware Doctor used to be a good program, but I find it now slows my computer, prevents many pages from loading, and prolongs bootup unacceptably.  I only scan with it occasionally.  The tech support for it is very polite but useless.
Remember Pearl Harbor!

PainDoc 

0 Kudos