Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 9th, 2020 06:00

How to secure Windows 7 after End of Support

Windows 7 support will officially end on January 14, 2020.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/secure-windows-7-after-end-of-support

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

January 9th, 2020 18:00

Good info ky331.

But I feel that the best protection is to upgrade to new hardware with Win 10, which is what I have done. My Win 7 desktop system is 8 years old, has been a great workhorse, and I will miss it. I will probably keep my Win 7 desktop online, using a lot of the mitigations recommended.

Joe

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

January 10th, 2020 09:00

I will probably keep my Win 7 desktop online, using a lot of the mitigations recommended.

Same here. About the only secure site I go to is my credit union and the current family of security programs seem to their jobs as scans come up empty. I guess I should spring for a reconditioned Windows 10 Dell later this year. I gather from a bit of research that it is kinda like Windows 7 on steroids, with way more bells ,whistles, and features that I will probably never use. I think I read somewhere that the security updates will continue for Windows Edge for the time being..., but not for Windows 7.Am I correct?

Wishing all the forum members the best for the coming year(s), and that the holidays went well for all concerned. It's hard to believe that most of have been hanging around these forums for almost 20 years! Finally, I might have asked this before, but did the Landzdown.com forum go bust. Still could not connect with the website, even though I changed the settings as recommended. .

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 14th, 2020 05:00

Dale,

Landzdown is alive and well.   If you're having problems, let me know, and I'll tell Corrine.

P.S.   I don't know what recommended settings changes you felt you had to make.    I just sent you a PM through Landzdown, to see if you'll get it.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 14th, 2020 09:00

I don't use IE anymore.    I've been using Edge (on Win10), as well as Firefox, Palemoon and MyPal.

If you want to wait until you get win10, that's certainly your call... but it wouldn't hurt to try FF to see if you can get through now.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

January 14th, 2020 09:00

Tried to reply to your PM, but the system messed up and lost what I had typed.

The gist of my problem with Landzdown.com site is that I am using IE11 and RC4 cipher is not supported anymore from what I gather.  I could try Firefox or Chrome, on this Windows 7 machine, but since I thinking of going the way of Windows 10 within the next year, might just wait.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 15th, 2020 12:00

Avast has announced that it will continue to support win7 for at least 2 more years:

https://blog.avast.com/avast-still-supports-windows-7

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 15th, 2020 14:00

Microsoft will continue to provide (engine and) definition updates for existing MSE users on Win7 until 2023 [but new MSE downloads are not available].

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17150/windows-7-what-is-microsoft-security-essentials

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

January 18th, 2020 08:00

I guess that includes Windows Defender, as I am still getting security definition updates.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2020 18:00

I still enjoy running my XP system... (for real).

No Events found!