Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 7th, 2013 10:00

IE 11 available for download [for Win 7 SP1 users]

Internet Explorer 11 comes with support for the latest web standards, advanced developer tools and improved security, in order to offer users an enhanced browsing experience.

• Fast: Fast at loading sites and fluid as you navigate through them.
  • Easy: Seamless with Windows, it just works the way you want. 
  • Safer: Better protection from threats and increased privacy online.

Features:
· Compatibility enhancements
· WebGL and High DPI support
· Optimized for touch screens
· Powerful developer tools for creating Windows Store apps using JavaScript
· Fast website loading (prerender and prefetch, caching and prioritization)
· Enhanced view of websites and Windows Store apps using JavaScript
· Tile support and tile notifications with RSS
· Personalized look and better integration with the Windows environment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be "pushed" automatically [over the next few weeks] as part of Windows/Automatic Updates (unless you arrange to disable automatic delivery, per the toolkit cited below the double lines).  

If you don't want to wait for automatic updates, you can manually download it now:

IE 11 for 32-bit Win 7 SP1 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40902 

IE 11 for x64    Win 7 SP1 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40901 

==========================================================================================

For those who DON'T want to receive automatic download of IE 11:

Toolkit  [for Win7 SP1] to DISABLE Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 11  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40722

20.5K Posts

November 9th, 2013 17:00

catilley1092,

That's an interesting perspective. Thank you for your opinion.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 9th, 2013 22:00

Cat:

An interesting perspective indeed.

I've always used IE as my default browser. Mostly out of familiarity. I've always been glad that the "browser wars" keep them all competitive, and doubt they were confined to the mid-nineties. My perception is that the wars are on-going to this day. I've never been convinced that any browser was inherently more secure, and I've used a fair number in my time.

My advice has always been to use the browser that best meets your needs, and to keep at least one other in reserve.

172 Posts

November 10th, 2013 18:00

That's the way that I do, Joe53. Firefox is my default one, with Chrome a very close second choice.

Keeping a backup browser & knowing it's features has came in handy more than once through some buggy FF releases. At one time, I was using the Firefox ESR browser, one designed for corporate use, though anyone can freely use it.

Doesn't have the latest & greatest features, but is stable, which is critical for business needs. For those who are interested, here's the link to FF ESR, it comes in Windows, OSX & Linux versions, as well as many languages.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Note that I'm not an anti-IE user, it's just that since IE8 was released in 2009, it became too heavy of a browser for what was then a majority XP userbase. Many of which had computers with only 2-3GB of DDR2, or worse yet, DDR RAM. IE8 didn't run well on my Dell Latitude D610 with 2GB DDR2 RAM.

Switched to FF & haven't looked back.

Cat

1.1K Posts

November 12th, 2013 00:00

I updated my IE 10 x 64 to IE x 64.

Since then when ever I tried to log on to my Gmail, it remain stuck. If I open a new tab on the same screen, and click in here again on gmail , I get a message to inform "IE has stopped working, finding a solution with a green bar running, then my gmail opens.

Does anybody else face with the same problem I wonder?

Regards

PS :

After posting here I went to "Tools"  and included Google in "Compatibility View Setting" following which gmail opens on my first attempt on logging. Even with this work around opening my Gmail account has gone slow. However I do not find any slowness or difficulty in opening my Yahoo mail account.. There must be some conflict between Google & IE 11.

20.5K Posts

November 12th, 2013 12:00

Installed IE 11 on three 64-bit systems so far. No problems. :emotion-21:

I no longer use Gmail or Yahoo, so I have not tested those with IE 11.

2.7K Posts

November 13th, 2013 09:00

I installed Internet 11 on two Windows 7 laptop computers without any problems. On my main Dell Studio XPX 8100, when I tried to open the xFinity by Comcast website I received a compatibility message. The website does run in Compatibility View. 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 13th, 2013 09:00

Annie,

Just to be sure I understand, you CAN access/view/use the xFinity by Comcast website with IE 11 on your laptops, but not with IE11 on your studio?   If so, that sounds very strange... because if there were an incompatibility between xFinity and IE 11, one would expect it to manifest itself on all such systems.   If it's just on the studio, maybe something else is different/interfering there.

2.7K Posts

November 13th, 2013 12:00

Ky331, That is correct. This only happens on the Studio XPS Desktop. INTERNET EXPLORER 11 WORKS FINE ON THE LAPTOPS.  On the desktop I received a message that I needed a browser update and a browser update page shows with all the common browsers listed, IE, FF, Chrome , etc.

2.7K Posts

November 13th, 2013 14:00

I uninstalled IE 11 on the Studio XPS 8100 due to problems with other sites. Now I can only get to the dell.com site in compatibility mode using IE version 10. 

When using IE 11 and using Words With Friends under Facebook, I received a popup that said "There is a problem with this website's security certificate."   I did check my clock and date and these are correct.  I am not sure where to start to troubleshoot this.  On the two laptops the update for IE 11 came through Windows Updates. On the Studio XPS 8100, I manually found IE11 and downloaded it.  I am wondering if I did this manual install out of sequence. 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 14th, 2013 04:00

We may not understand the technical details, but suffice it to say, we're talking enhanced security:

"With the introduction of Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11, MS products now default to TLS 1.2 and support for the RC4 cipher has been dropped".

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/11/14/microsoft-leads-the-way-setting-new-cryptographic-defaults/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 16th, 2013 05:00

Having downloaded IE 11 onto many systems, I finally decided to go for it on my primary Win7x64 Pro SP1 system.  Some Yahoo features (e-mail, calendar) display nicer in [or may actually require] compatibility mode... no "biggie" there... and if I'm not mistaken, this might have been the case for IE 10 as well.

The only issue I've encountered here (so far??) --- as on the first system I tried --- is that the cursor's appearance has changed.   No idea why.   I'll probably get used to it... but for now, it's an annoyance.

I decided to run the speed tests that I mentioned on the first page of this thread.  There, I was comparing IE11 to IE10 on the same system.   This time, I decided to compare IE11's performance to FF-25's:

Popcorn test:   IE11 was at least 50% faster than FF.

EtchMark test:  Apparently does not run on FF.

Chalkboard test:  IE11 was about 80% faster than FF.

Take this data for whatever it's worth (or not).   Keep in mind that since these particular tests were suggested by Microsoft, they could have "planted" only those they knew would be favorable to IE.

Using a popular javascript benchmark http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html , IE 11 was 35% faster than FF.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 17th, 2013 12:00

Finally got around to installing IE 11 x64 on my main Win 7/sp1 x64 Home Premium desktop. Went without a hitch, and no major complaints so far. Seems fast, and I haven't seen any sites needing compatibilty view.

One note: IE 10 had both flavors (32 and 64 bit) shortcut icons on the Desktop. Both browsers worked equally well, but I always wondered why both?
IE 11 only installed one shortcut, presumably x64. (I seem to still have 2 copies of  iexplore.exe, one in my Program Files and the other in Program Files(X86) folders. They seem to be the same version.

One minor gripe: IE 11 kills Desktop Gadgets/Sidebar, possibly by design. Microsoft recommended disabling them last year because of vulnerabilies. I never did, because I liked the analog clock  with the second hand (which was the only gadget I used) on my desktop. Also because my understanding was that it was mostly 3rd party gadgets that were vulnerable, not the ones from MS. I notice that MS did not include the gadgets in Win8. So perhaps I'm better off without them.

Oh well, I can always open the Adjust date/time from my notification tray if I want to see an analog clock with a second hand.

20.5K Posts

November 17th, 2013 13:00

One minor gripe: IE 11 kills Desktop Gadgets/Sidebar, possibly by design. Microsoft recommended disabling them last year because of vulnerabilies. I never did, because I liked the analog clock  with the second hand (which was the only gadget I used) on my desktop. Also because my understanding was that it was mostly 3rd party gadgets that were vulnerable, not the ones from MS. I notice that MS did not include the gadgets in Win8. So perhaps I'm better off without them.
Same here, I liked the weather gadget, but now I've found the info online and added a link to the desktop. It's only the matter of a click.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 17th, 2013 17:00

Joe wrote:  "One note: IE 10 had both flavors (32 and 64 bit) shortcut icons on the Desktop. Both browsers worked equally well, but I always wondered why both?  IE 11 only installed one shortcut, presumably x64. (I seem to still have 2 copies of  iexplore.exe, one in my Program Files and the other in Program Files(X86) folders. They seem to be the same version."

Unless I'm mistaken, I had the two clear "flavors" (32/64) of IE with IE 9, but they were "seemingly merged" into a single IE with the advent of IE 10.  While it's not at my fingertips, I recall we had a long discussion somewhere when I realized there was only one IE 10 version... as we were wondering which version it was.   My best conclusion at the time was that it was behaving like a 32-bit version if ENHANCED Protected Mode was NOT checked (under Tools/  Internet Options / the Advanced Tab / Security), but that it was behaving like a 64-bit version --- disabling one's 32-bit addons/toolbars --- if ENHANCED Protected Mode WAS checked.    Please stress that ENHANCED Protected Mode is separate/distinct from ["basic"] Protected Mode, which is located under Tools/ Internet Options / the SECURITY tab.

Looking now with IE 11, I likewise have two separate  iexplore.exe  files, one under Program Files, the other under Program Files (x86).   The files are clearly different sizewise.   Despite this, they both appear to open up the same version, from the point of functionality... that is to say, ENHANCED Protected Mode is not checked in either, and I have my 32-bit add-ons running in both.

-------------------------------------------

As for "gadgets", I've never used them... so I wouldn't have noticed any change there.   But I do feel it would have been appropriate for Microsoft to have pointed-out this change --- up front --- rather than having people discover it after the fact.   The proper way to have done so would have been to make this (killing of gadgets) a separate Windows Update, which could be applied or rejected independent of one's installing IE11.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 18th, 2013 05:00

One other minor change I've noticed... when I open-up IE 11 (on two different 7x64 systems), it sometimes asks me [two or three times] if I'll allow a tracking cookie from that website.   I assume this may have something to do with either the "Do Not Track" option (Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Security / Send Do Not Track requests to sites you visit in IE) --- which I have enabled ----, or perhaps the "Tracking Protection" option (Tools /  Turn on Tracking Protection ) [which I have disabled, so it's unlikely to be the culprit here].

No Events found!