Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 18th, 2010 19:00

Immunet: Safe as a 2nd AV?

An interesting blog by Brian Krebs:

"Security experts have long maintained that running two different anti-virus products on the same Windows machine is asking for trouble, because the programs inevitably will compete for resources and slow down or even crash the host PC.

... But an upstart anti-virus company called Immunet Protect is hoping Windows users shrug off this conventional wisdom and embrace the dual anti-virus approach. Indeed, the company’s free product works largely by sharing data about virus detections from other anti-virus products already resident on the PCs of the Immunet user community.

... I’ve been running Immunet in tandem with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 for the past three months, and have haven’t noticed any impact on system resources or stability issues. Immunet’s creators are especially proud of that last aspect of the program, and say it’s due to the fact that the program does most of its scanning and operations “in-the-cloud,” – that is, not on the user’s system. "

Full read: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/04/immunet-a-second-opinion-worth-a-second-look/

http://www.immunet.com/

Haven't tried this yet, but Krebs does know his security stuff.

2.5K Posts

April 18th, 2010 20:00

I read the link.  Theis paragraph make absolutely no sernse to me

"But what makes Immunet different from other anti-virus products is that it also incorporates detections for malware from other anti-virus products that may be resident on users’ machines. For example, each time someone’s PC in the Immunet user base encounters a virus, that threat is logged and flagged on a centralized server so that all Immunet users can be protected from that newly identified malware."

Lets assume I am running Norton AV, and it finds a virus, how will signature aumotatically be created for Immunet, who will vaidated it?  Lastly I want a AV company to be pro-active, searching for viruses in the wild and building a defense, rather reactive, waiting for some other AV company to find the problem means they will always be one step behind.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 18th, 2010 21:00

I'm not sure I can answer your question about validation, Michael. False positives continue to be a problem with every AV (some more than others).

But as I understand it, Immunet gathers data from all its users, who use a variety of AVs. As you know, some AVs respond to new threats with updates quicker than others.

It *seems* like a good idea.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

April 19th, 2010 05:00

Just a quote from WinPatrol's BillP:   "I’m also intrigued by new free software called Immunet but I’m still evaluating its effectiveness.  I can confirm it works well when paired with WinPatrol PLUS."

(The last 2 sentences from his blog here:   http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2010/03/winpatrol-plus-50-off-for-malware.html )

[I have not tested the product.]

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 20th, 2010 07:00

OK...being the resident test dummy here I went ahead and installed this program on both computers yesterday. :emotion-5:  The security programs they have in common are: SAS, MBAM, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, and Win Patrol.

The XP computer uses the Outpost Firewall, Avast 5, Windows Defender, and PC Tools Threatfire in addition to the applications above.  Adding Immunet to this computer seemed to be pretty straightforward as compared to the one below.

The Vista computer uses Online Armor and MSE in addition to the above. Online Armor threw out many more alerts during the installation process...like 30-35 as compared to about half a dozen...than Outpost did, if this means anything. In addition, it is requesting  to allow many other files or processes instead of asking about them. These show up in a larger OA box with more action options, as compared to the smaller box that places itself on the lower right side of the screen. These processes appear to be part of Immunet establishing itself and therefore legit and I allowed them.

Also, had several requests on the Vista machine about  searcheindexer.exe. This appears to be another Windows process, and part of of the installation and "getting to know ya" that Immunet requires. Other than the alerts and the askings to allow stuff, the installations went flawlessly and both cases Immunet did not discover anything on its first scan. I did quick scans of all the programs above and nothing showed up on either computer...it was like Immunet was not there. I do not detect any slowdown or excessive CPU use.

I probably have more programs than I need, but I rarely get alerted to a problem and can't remember the last false positive I have had. Hope this helps. Had to sign in again to make this reply...hope they get that fixed.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 20th, 2010 17:00

Thanks Dale for that feedback. It encourages me to give Immunet a trial. I've been a "crash test dummy" myself for years, but have never considered a 2nd AV, except as a standalone on-demand scanner, with real-time protection disabled.

Using Outpost Firewall Pro on XP Pro here, I always put it temporarily into "Auto-Learn" mode when installing new programs, to avoid alerts. (It automatically reverts to "Rules Wizard" after one hour, if I forget to do so manually).

I believe DC is going offline shortly to correct some problems (hopefully the log-in cookie retention issue, but I'm not holding my breath).

2.5K Posts

April 20th, 2010 23:00

I think the question should be, "Does Immunet do anything useful?"  Doing no harm is not the same as doing something good.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 21st, 2010 20:00

I think the question should be, "Does Immunet do anything useful?"  Doing no harm is not the same as doing something good.

You ask the $60,000 question, Michael, to which I have no answer.

Immunet has not been subjected to independent testing as to its effectiveness. But I find its concept intriguing.

I do know that in medical studies on potentially therapeutic new drugs, studies on safety take precedence over studies on effectiveness.

All I know is that this program installed quickly and easily, with no conflicts while running with my resident AV that I could detect. It does add "iptray" to my startup list, and "Immunet Protect" as a service. It does not slow down my PC or browsers, as far as I can see. It runs a scan in about 30 seconds, and like all my scanners, detects nothing. It says I am protected from 12 million threats.

Which is to say, I too have found no problems with Immunet. No more, no less. It seems safe, and may offer some benefits, yet to be proven.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 21st, 2010 21:00

I don't know if Spybot Search & Destroy or Spyware Blaster do all that much good either. But perhaps they really do stop some stuff or keep a problem from occuring. Because of that I will keep updating and using them unless given information to the contrary.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 17th, 2010 20:00

Update:

It's now been about one month since I installed Immunet Protect (IP). I should point out that this version 1.0.26 is a beta version, and after looking it over and running a scan, decided I didn't want a beta AV running in tandem with my NOD32 AV. I exited the program with a right-click on its tray icon. Or so I thought!

Today I opened my Control Panel> Security Center>Virus Protection, and was surprised to see the following:
"Immunet Protect reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on." (!)

Belarc Advisor confirmed this, as did Secunia PSI.

So it turns out IP has been running along with NOD32 for almost 4 weeks, with nary a problem or conflict. (I can of course prevent this by blocking its startup with WinPatrol). And nary a single alert or detection over all that time. Now that's a quiet AV.

When I open the program, I'm informed that some 186,000 folks are in the Immunet Cloud, and I'm protected from some 12 million threats.

As far as resources goes, Task Manager shows its service (agent.exe) using about 1/3 the memory that NOD32 does.

A nice overview of IP with screenshots is here:
http://support.immunet.com/index.php/Immunet_Protect_Feature_Guide_(Beta)

IP's on-demand scan of running processes and loadpoint processes (2082 files for me) takes about 30 seconds. This is not a replacement for your conventional AV on-demand scan, but is a quick supplement.

One feature I like is the History and Summary tabs. The resident IP was monitoring all executable files (literally hundreds, most of them in tmp folders) I downloaded in the last month, and declared them all as "known legitimate programs".

There are no "Help" files per se; clicking on "Help" takes you to Immunet's support forum.

Summary:

IP proved to be a 2nd resident AV that ran along side my own AV with no problems for one month. It was so unobtrusive I didn't even know it was resident (and that's embarrassing!). And no false positive detections.

Its version of cloud security is a promising and unique concept, an additional layer of security, and this is a program worth keeping track of. However, I cannot recommend a beta program, and in fact have disabled it properly this time. Its effectiveness at blocking/removing malware has yet to be independently evaluated.

Immunet states it will be releasing a new version shortly, and I will eagerly await it.

Additional info:
http://blog.immunet.com/blog/2010/3/7/how-immunet-detects-threats-in-a-nutshell.html

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 18th, 2010 06:00

Thanks for the update Joe. After the installations mentioned above I have not known they are there. This little program is very quiet in its work, which is the way it should be and I have left it enabled on both machines.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 18th, 2010 11:00

Hi Guys :emotion-1:

Okay... I can't say I've spent a whole lot of hours researching Immunet and am in no way knocking it, but...

...my main concern here is, as it would be when attempting to run any 2 real-time AVs simultaneously, what happens when you stumble across an actual threat that both programs have a signature for? (Edit; See quote below)

That maybe is where the greatest possibility and danger of a conflict could arise.

Example #1 (post 2)

Example #2

As a harmless test, it might not be a bad idea to download some simulated threats (Eicar, Trojan Simulator), rather than wait for a real threat to pounce.

Edit; Wording.

Edit 2; Added text and quote.

From the Brian Krebs article in Joe's opening post.

BK: If I have Immunet on my system in addition to another anti-virus product, which one speaks up first about an infection? Or will they both?

AH: Typically, the other anti-virus product will reside in front of us, but in some cases they don’t. In both cases, they should both alert if they both have [detection for] it. If you are running Kaspersky anti-virus and our stuff, and you download a threat, if Kaspersky detects it, they’ll flag it even if we do as well.

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me this seems like a potential problem where both may try to quarantine the same file.

20.5K Posts

May 18th, 2010 14:00

.my main concern here is, as it would be when attempting to run any 2 real-time AVs simultaneously, what happens when you stumble across an actual threat that both programs have a signature for?
I'm glad you mentioned that. I've been wondering about that myself. Maybe one of the Malware Removal Analysts can run a test.

1.5K Posts

May 18th, 2010 17:00

OK, I just had a try running Immunet and Avast, This is in no way a through test as all I have done is try to open the infected files with both AV's running, no system crashes, have not test for slowness and incompatibility issues, just what would happen if both detected a file at the same time.

Results for Avast: (unless stated NO warning box, there was one)

TDL3  Quarantined
LOP  Quarantined
Koobface,  NO warning box but still in Quarantine
W32.Rootkit  Quarantined
W32.Downadup  Quarantined
W32.Fasec x15 different files  Quarantined (2 or 3 files, NO warning box but all in Quarantine)
W32.Monder x8 files Quarantined (1 or 2 as above)
W32.Zapchest x2 files  Quarantined
W32.Obfuscated x2 files Quarantined

Total= 32 malicious files run 28 or so resulted in a warning popup box, ALL in Quarantine.

Results for Immunet:

Popped up them few time that Avast did not,

In Quarantined are 9 of the W32 files out of the 27 W32.Fasec/Monder/Zapchild/Obfuscated so it missed 18 of them files in total.

W32.Downadup was detected (no popup warning) NOT Quarantined
W32Koobface was detected WITH warning box, NOT Quarantined
W32.Rootkit was detected (no popup warning) NOT Quarantined

The malicious .sys file from TDL and the LOP installer are listed in the results window as "A Known Legitimate Program was Installed on your System"

Total= Not very good, I wont be using it.

Hope that helps, I'm really busy this week but will run all them files with the AV's off, and then scan with each program and post the results back here, but that's something to go on for now.

Thanks
K27.

EDIT:

Forgot to add that when you first install Immunet, it prompts for a "Flash Scan" this lasted 50 odd seconds and scanned 2500 or so files and did not flag any of the above files located in a folder in the root of the drive.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 18th, 2010 17:00

RD:

You ask the million dollar question. Thanks for the links.

Those avast examples you cite were from February, using an earlier Immunet beta version. The current list of  security programs supported by Immunet now includes avast Free 5.0:
http://support.immunet.com/index.php/Immunet_Protect_Software_Requirements_(Beta)

Whether this support addresses the issue you raise is moot.

I forgot to say my NOD32 is not listed as as a supported AV, which is another reason why I disabled Immunet.

The eicar testfile isn't much of a robust test, but it was detected by my AV. If I disabled my resident AV, it was detected by Windows Defender. When I disabled WD, it was detected by IE8. Never did get to Immunet detection. The point being there were no conflicts among these programs for this one simple test, in my particular environment.

It will take more than an eicar test to satisfy my reservations however, and  I'll leave the real testing to the experts. Meanwhile, despite my (inadvertant) positive experiences to date, Immunet beta returns to disabled status on my system, for precisely the concern you express.

3.3K Posts

May 18th, 2010 18:00

Quote:
...the company's free product works largely by sharing data about virus detections from other anti-virus products already resident on the PCs of the Immunet user community.

Nothing at all new about that. I don't know of one a/v product that doesn't ask the user to upload statistical data to the vendor. Usually that is a default setting, already checked but the user would have the option to remove that during the installation. Long and short of it is, most vendors ask the community for input but none of them rely on it...except for these new "cloud" computing concept vendors. This "Immunet" program is news to me as I've never heard of it. I would also never use it certainly as a primary security scanner and NEVER as a secondary on board scanner. Why would anyone? You only need one, and if you should ever want another opinion, there are plenty of online scanners available.

The problem with "cloud computing" type a/v products is that one must have an internet connection in order to take advantage of the "cloud". You might have most of what is already in the database already included in the signature database on board, but whatever is newly circulating, one would need access to the cloud in order to download the latest protection. The problem with that as I see it, is that some infections will remove your internet access.

If you have one of those, how then are you to recover the system? Well, according to THAT vendor, you should then rely on your OTHER on board a/v product.

Does anyone else see the futility of this?

Bottom line is, you only need one. They want you to have two.

If you wanted to test two a/v products running on the same system for instability issues you should scan with one a/v product to see if it finds anything in the quarantine folder of the other a/v product. That can be where you should find the most devastating results if there are to be any.

As both a/v engines should be different, including real time scanning, one cannot be sure at what time either is performing a scan and at what pace...that is, while one could be scanning C:\Program Files the other may be scanning C:\ Documents and Settings...you get the idea.

Under that type scenario, there could be a seemingly flawless run when one or either finds one file at a different time and place arresting the offending file and changing it's file extension, then compressing it to a zipped file...but that's not the end of it.

It should be assumed that eventually the scan engine will catch up with the other but that is only an assumption. When it does, and if it's worth it's salt, and of course, depending on the settings, it should complain of the file even though it's already in the lock-up.

At that point, what really creates the instability isn't so much the two scan engines wanting access to the offensive file, but rather the behavior of the antivirus product as observed by the other antivirus product.

It's that "observation" combined with the fact that one a/v product now wants not only the offending file but the other a/v product to relinquish all rights to the file, and if it's a good product, it should also want to arrest the other a/v product just based on it's behavior. This creates, or should create an argument for which there is no solution. If this "argument" does not occur during your test, then one product or the other is not worth having.

That argument is of course, something that should continue for all eternity. THAT is usually what has happened when a user complains of the system freezing. On inspection, when you see there are two a/v products installed, you can bet the farm that is the reason for it.

But that is the test of a good a/v product...you would not want your a/v product to relinquish rights to ANYTHING...not even another a/v product. See?

Problem is, author's of a/v products don't write the programs giving consideration to any of the other a/v products, so one can or should expect this to be an issue anytime there are two a/v products on board running in real time.

As not all scan the same way, the rough ride isn't always noticed immediately...sometimes the argument issue can occur on the next reboot...or maybe the next time Windows creates an image of the system...or even on closing down the system...maybe even 3 or 4 months down the road.

One can't determine all possibilities since they are so vast. My a/v product for example, won't even allow me to mouse over the installer file of another a/v product without screaming about it.

Bottom line is, it's never a good idea to have more than one a/v product on board running real time protection. You only need one. If you want to install two of them then at least you know what to expect.
No Events found!