Texruss
5 Tungsten

Re: Internet Explorer has taken over my computer

One more point to consider....Internet Explorer's executable file is iexplore.exe. The file iexplorer.exe is found as a result of about a dozen different worms and viruses and also the RapidBlaster parasite. Input the filename at Pacman's Startup list to see those malware variants.

If indeed you detected 65 instances of iexplorer.exe in memory then you should run your updated antivirus program in Safe Mode and purge the attacker.

HTH,

Texruss

0 Kudos
conlie
1 Nickel

Tex,

Looking back over my post, that was a typo. You had me going there for a minute. Thought that I had overlooked something that I had indeed read about, namely iexplorer.exe. Glad you caught that. No, it's iexplore.exe that appears.

Joe

0 Kudos
conlie
1 Nickel

Mike,

I believe that X10 thing is part of the ATI Multimedia stuff that goes with my ATI All In Wonder Video card.

As to performance, once things settle down after 20 minutes or so, CPU and PF usage drop to normal and performance is ok. Right now, Windows Task Manager shows CPU between 0% and 4% depending on mouse usage and Page File usage is 243mb. No trouble at all surfing the net. BUT, if I were to try to check email, I will wait around 20 minutes for it to open up. During that time the hourglass cursor will blink every second and I can do nothing else on the computer. If I open Task Manager to see what's happening, I will see CPU usage running 60-80% and several instances of iexplore.exe using the bulk of that and hopping around on the list. Also see Mcshield.exe trying to get in there. Cannot do anything, like cancel a process, because you only have a one second time window to work in. Also during that long wait, the DSL modem activity light is blinking constantly. This is what happens at boot. It is also what happens when saving a HJT log as I described in an earlier post. This is what has been happening since my first post. If I disconnect the CAT-5 cable from the WAP, meaning no DSL access, during boot the Task Manager will show nothing but iexplore.exe processes, most with little or no cpu usage, and eventually require me to turn off the pc. Plug the cable back in, reboot takes 20 or so minutes with the activity described above.

Perhaps you noticed all of the instances of Earthlink, which is my ISP. I have loaded their TotalAccess package of browser, spam block, etc. What if I were to remove and reinstall? How about a repair of Internet Explorer? Not looking forward to a reformat and reinstall.

0 Kudos
Midnight Star
5 Rhenium

conlie,

Maybe there's a conflict between McAfee and Earthlinks stuff. If you we're running McAfee prior, did this start after installing Earthlink total acccess package or before?

Try disabling Earthlink total access, or uninstalling it and see if performance improves; or do you need that to have DSL?

Mike.

0 Kudos
conlie
1 Nickel

Mike,

Thanks to the storm here in OH, I've been without DSL for many hours. When I do not have internet access, the pc is useless. When it came back on tonight, during the boot process, it was trying to download a file "start.earthlink.net" which is the default home page. I managed to change the default to "yahoo.com". On reboot, it tries to download a file "yahoo.com". At the moment I can only get partway through a boot. Most items on the startup list do not load. I can open Control Panel, but cannot open the  Add/Remove Programs in order to remove the Earthlink programs. This is not looking good. Sounds like a reformat is in the works. Any suggestions to ease this radical solution to my problem?

Joe

0 Kudos
Midnight Star
5 Rhenium

Joe,

No, sorry I sure don't have any.

It almost sounds like the registry is slowly being corrupted. Can system restore take you back to a point where you didn't have the problem? If so, try posting back a log and we'll see what we have.

You might try a repair installation of the operating system, or maybe try entering "sfc /scannow" from a command line, just to see what happens.

Good luck, and let me know how it turns out.

Mike.

0 Kudos
conlie
1 Nickel

Mike,

Tried everything. Would not go away, even in safe mode. Always went to the dsl modem  trying to do something, I know not what. As written in previous posts, Task Manager showed numerous entries for iexplore, sometimes 60 or more, and changing every second making it impossible to do anything. Tried a Restore early on, but it always came back. Tried a XP repair. No dice. Gave me a fit trying to do that, locking up numerous times part way through. Finally did a complete reinstall of XP, including a reformat of c:, which fixed the problem. I tried unsuccessfully to keep from losing some data and having to do all of the reinstalls. Time would have been better spent doing early on what I had to do finally to fix the problem. Oh, well. Once again, I thank you for all of your help. I learned a lot going through the HJT routines.

Joe

0 Kudos
Midnight Star
5 Rhenium

Joe,

Your welcome! Sorry we couldn't get you back without a re-install.

Hindsight is always 20/20 ... Smiley Happy and all users don't really have that option. Me, I can re-image my harddrive in just minutes, but still take the time (sometimes hours) to work with those that can't.

Glad to hear everthing is working ok.

Happy surfing,

Mike.

0 Kudos