Highlighted

Is PC restore adequate to remove malware?

I suspect that a person walked into my office and put some kind of malware on my laptop.  I do have Norton Internet Security, which does not flag any problems, but the computer is vastly slower than it used to be (despite defragmenting etc.), and also there are other reasons for being cautious.

So I have a choice with my Dell Inspiron Laptop.  I can either do a PC-restore, or I can reformat the hard drive.

PC-restore is obviously faster, since I don't have to save and then install drivers and the OS (Windows XP).

However, I want to be really sure that my computer is safe from:

1. spyware

2. viruses

3. keyboard loggers

and any other malware - whether software or hardware.

So my question is: - should I reformat?  Is PC-restore enough?  Or is Norton's defense software sufficient to guard against such threats, even if a unfriendly type had physical access to my PC for a few hours.

Thanks,

FN2

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Gold

Re: Is PC restore adequate to remove malware?

Or is Norton's defense software sufficient to guard against such threats, even if a unfriendly type had physical access to my PC for a few hours.
No, Norton is only as good as what it has been programmed to do. There is no anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware that finds everything. The best defense is the person sitting behind the computer. If some "unfriendly type" had access to the computer there is a reason to be suspicious.

Have you run any other security besides Norton? We're seeing a lot of rootkits these days. It might be good to have one of the volunteer security analysts take a look at what is going on in there.

Logs are read on the Malware Removal Forum.

Please Read This Before Posting On the Malware Removal Forum

Windows Insider MVP 2016 - Present

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos