8 Krypton

Re: Is there a viable, reasonably priced, AV for Win98SE?

Sorry, But Avast states on their web site that their AV pgm. require a minimum 486 proocess.  The Dell XPS D333 has a 333 processor. 

The "333" means it's a 333MHz Pentium 2 processor. This is way faster/newer than a 486 processor (which Intel never had over 100MHz and AMD went up to 120MHz if memory serves me right).

In other words, Avast will work just fine on your system... till the end of 2009 at which time it sounds like they won't support the application on Win98 anymore (not sure if that means that "4.9" won't work, or if no more updates for new virii will be made available, or maybe something else).

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
jskohut
1 Nickel

I agree that AVAST would be fine, at least until support runs out. I put Avast version on my Sister's PC running ME and she has not had any trouble. She only uses it for Email and maybe some very light browsing, and going to reputable sites.

If you chose to go with Avast, I would (at a minimum) send them an email and ask them if they are going to continue support for Windows 98 (at least continue with AV update files that are compatible). Even then, if you were up to date, you would probably be fine as long as you watch what you are doing (i.e. watch opening emails and watch which sites you go to).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jsbauman08
1 Nickel

Thank you for the reminder. I have been looking at processors listed by their MHz speeds for so long now that I forgot they were also once listed as 80386, 80486 etc (386 and 486 for short).  The 80486 (introduced in 1989 by  Intel)  started at 25 MHz (SX only) and went up to 100 MHz (486 DX-4).  I will send Avast an email to determine if they are going to be a viable AV program for Win98SE after this year (as suggested by another respondent).  Thank you for the advise.  I have current AV definitions up through 10/02/2009 with Norton so I am OK - for the near future anyway.

0 Kudos