Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 31st, 2017 13:00

Kaspersky Launches Free AV

"Kaspersky has finally launched its free antivirus software after a year-and-a-half of testing it in select regions. While the software was only available in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, China and in Nordic countries during its trial run, Kaspersky is releasing it worldwide. The free antivirus doesn't have VPN, Parental Controls and Online Payment Protection its paid counterpart offers, but it has all the essential features you need to protect your PC. It can scan files and emails, protect your PC while you use the web and quarantine malware that infects your system."

Full read:
www.engadget.com/.../

Download:
www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

Comment:

Kaspersky's paid AV has dominated in protection tests of security products by independent organisations for some years now. Now that it offers a free version, it looks like I will have to give it a test run.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 05:00

I like the part that says this AV won't be "riddled" with advertisements like other free products, Panda being the worst offender I've seen to date.:emotion-42:

I'll probably check it out on my older machine first.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 08:00

Dale:

Concerning Panda's advertising, have you tried going to the general settings, and turning off Panda news and Security news?

Also, if you register for a free account, that might limit some of the popups.

Either I've gotten used to them (without realizing it), or I get very few ads.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 1st, 2017 12:00

Kaspersky must be hurting now that the US gom'ment put them on a restricted list because of their ties to the Russian gom'ment. 

Guess they think "free" will attract non-gom'ment users who they can try to convert to paid customers.

:emotion-2: :emotion-2: :emotion-2:

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 18:00

Turned them off, hopefully that will take care of it.

No Events found!