joe53
5 Rhenium

Kaspersky Launches Free AV

"Kaspersky has finally launched its free antivirus software after a year-and-a-half of testing it in select regions. While the software was only available in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, China and in Nordic countries during its trial run, Kaspersky is releasing it worldwide. The free antivirus doesn't have VPN, Parental Controls and Online Payment Protection its paid counterpart offers, but it has all the essential features you need to protect your PC. It can scan files and emails, protect your PC while you use the web and quarantine malware that infects your system."

Full read:
www.engadget.com/.../

Download:
www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

Comment:

Kaspersky's paid AV has dominated in protection tests of security products by independent organisations for some years now. Now that it offers a free version, it looks like I will have to give it a test run.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dalem29
4 Germanium

RE: Kaspersky Launches Free AV

I like the part that says this AV won't be "riddled" with advertisements like other free products, Panda being the worst offender I've seen to date.:emotion-42:

I'll probably check it out on my older machine first.

0 Kudos
ky331
6 Indium

Dale:

Concerning Panda's advertising, have you tried going to the general settings, and turning off Panda news and Security news?

Also, if you register for a free account, that might limit some of the popups.

Either I've gotten used to them (without realizing it), or I get very few ads.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Kaspersky must be hurting now that the US gom'ment put them on a restricted list because of their ties to the Russian gom'ment. 

Guess they think "free" will attract non-gom'ment users who they can try to convert to paid customers.

emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
dalem29
4 Germanium

Turned them off, hopefully that will take care of it.

0 Kudos