Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2012 12:00

[MOVED] McAfee update blocks Internet access from AOL software and from Window Internet Explorer Software

UPDATE July 2,2012

Current update of McAfee antivirus software (McAfee software supplied when I bought this Dell computer)
 makes it so I can't connect to the Internet after reboot
with wired broadband from AOL software or Windows Internet Explorer software on
Windows 7. Programs are not blocked in the McAfee software as the programs
have full access.. It seems the programs just can't "find" the broadband modem
in Windows 7 Professional OS after your update.. The other really weird thing is
that accuweather by Dell can access the Internet and produce time, date and
weather conditions on my monitor. I have disabled the wireless connection which
is built into the mother board by Dell. I also tried to reinstall the modem
software (AT&T-Motorola 2210 Modem) from the original CD but I get the message there is no 64
bits driver. I had to use a restore point Five times to eliminate the five
attempts to update your software.. This makes Mcafee antivirus software of limited
usefulness since it can no longer be updated. McAfee's Virtual Technician says there is
nothing wrong. Of course when McAfee service is updated I can not chat over the
net with McAfee'sr technicians since I can't access the Internet.
McAfee Techs have no idea what the problem is.

Windows says I have the lastest upfdste driver for the Broadcom Gigbtye Ehternet which runs the modem.

36 Posts

July 11th, 2012 23:00

I have worked so hard on this for so long and McAfee still blocks Internet Access if I update it defintions and reboot so I removed it a second time. I installed Windows Antivirus-Malware Program and Windows Firewall which comes on automatically when you delete McAfee.  Intel made a horrible investment decision to buy McAfee.

July 3rd, 2012 13:00

Hi PhotoRoy9,

My name is Ananth and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. To resolve the above issue that you are facing now please try the following steps.

1. Try uninstalling the McAfee through the Add/Remove programs from the control panel; please refer the following weblink for instruction to uninstall a program: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Uninstall-or-change-a-program
  2. if it fails please try the next step.
  3. Boot the computer into Safe mode with networking (by pressing "F8 when the computer is turning ON and you see the Dell logo).Download the McAfee removal tool from the following weblink http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
  4. Restart the computer back in normal mode, download the Mcafee and install the application on the computer.
  5. For AOL cust you can download the Mcafee from the following link: http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter

As an alternate option, you can download it from us.mcafee.com

(Login credentials required for the above link).

Kindly revert back for further clarifications.

Thanks and Regards

Dell Anantha_Raman

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community Professional 

36 Posts

July 6th, 2012 21:00

McAfee now considers the software that runs wired connections to be a virus and the update blocks the software from the modem from working. ATT is not going to upgrade the software as it is dropping support for any future needs of DSL broadband modems as it is transitioning to it's optical lines (wired and wireless). ATT no longer even offers an upgrade my broadband DSL (copper lines) speed. Essentially I have to switch providers to maintain a land line phone and get Internet connections at a decent price.

July 10th, 2012 12:00

Hi PhotoRoy9,

I understand that there are certain limitations on your internet connection from your ISP. If you still face any issues on your computer after you change the ISP please do revert back to us.

Thanks and Regards

Dell Anantha_Raman

Social Media Responder

36 Posts

July 11th, 2012 13:00

I chatted with ATT and there was no upgrade to the modem and the modem works fine on my old slow XP computer. Essentailly there was nothing ATT on the chat line could do or suggest to make the problem go away.

I tried to remove System Mechanics to see if that was the problem. I couldn't uninstall it as it was missing some file.

I ended up reinstalling everything from the ground up. I didn't install the System Mechanics.  I did it on a spare IDE drive and then copied it to a SATA drive.

I launched the Sata drive and Internet connection was fine. I then did the last McAfee update and after reboot Internet connection is not working. So i did a Window restore to a restore point I created before the Mcafee update.

I don't understand why the modem won't work after the McAfee upgrade. The AccurWeather Gadget works. If I unplug the internet connection the weather gadget says I am no longer connected to the Internet.  The AccurWeather Gadget works but maybe it has the data store on my computer as you can expand it to see five days ahead.  It must just check the computer's clock and check the internet plug and put up the weather.  If I unplug the internet connection the weather gadget says I am no longer connected to the Internet and disappears. to be continued

No Events found!