Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 6th, 2019 20:00

Malwarebytes 3 Update Oddity

I have a lifetime license for Malwarebytes 3 (MB3) Premium on my Windows 7 system. Today an MB3 popup notified me of a FREE update to the latest version. This popup appeared legit, and similar to those in the past, so I accepted/installed it. What was installed was a time limited "trial version" of the latest MB3, version 3.8.3. It came with prompts to upgrade to (and pay for) the latest version of MB3. Just a word to the wise. If MB3 is defaulting on its lifetime licenses, ...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

August 15th, 2019 06:00

It seems the problem is that [many] people were purchasing a license that was valid for a single machine, but then applying it to multiple machines, concurrently.   Versions of MBAM prior to 3.8 "overlooked" this... but version 3.8 started checking and enforcing the one-machine license as it was intended.

It is permitted to transfer that license from one system to another, by deactivating the license on the first, before activating it on the second.   It's probably for the best to set up an MBAM account, where you can register/store your license [before making the transfer].

In my case, I had two "lifetime" licenses.   The first was for beta-testing very early versions of MBAM 1.x.   If I'm not mistaken, that particular license was issued to us beta testers as a "shared" license... at least 5 people were offered the same license/registration information.   Everything worked fine for a few years, until one day, I noticed my MBAM had reverted to "free" from "premium".   I contacted MBAM, and was able to offer them "proof" of the license that I had been awarded... and so they reactivated it on my system(s).  

Then, a few months ago, it happened again... my MBAM reverted.   When I tried to re-enter the same license information, it was no longer accepted.

So I then tried to enter my second "lifetime" license, which I got for beta-testing very early versions of MBAE.   Fortunately, it worked.

Today, I tried to register/store my license information online.   The first/MBAM license was rejected, indicating that someone else had already registered that [shared] license.   But the second/MBAE license was accepted, and is now formally registered to me.   Ironically, it's showing up as being used on two other systems that I had installed it on, but NOT on my current/primary system!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 7th, 2019 03:00

I had such an experience several months back... don't recall now if it was as the result of an update, or if my premium version "reverted" for some other reason.

Anyway, I have my license information safely backed up.   I have earned two free lifetime licenses to MBAM, one for beta-testing some of the earliest versions of MBAM 1.x, the other for beta-testing MBAE.   I first tried using my older/original MBAM license, only to find that it was no longer valid :-(   Fortunately, the latter/MBAE license still worked for me.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 7th, 2019 19:00

Thanks ky.

I actually have 4 lifetime MB3 licenses (one for original beta-testing, 3 purchased for a bargain price about 6 years ago). But it ticks me off that one of these licenses is not being honored. I'm not the only one, as this thread at Malwarebytes forum indicates:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/249126-lifetime-license-wont-activate/

At the present, I advise all MB3 users to avoid updates to Version 3.83.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 7th, 2019 20:00

Addendum:  A "System Restore" to a date preceding this MB3 Update did not restore my Lifetime MB3 License.

I can only conclude that Malwarebytes is shorting lifetime customers. I refrain from using the "scamming" word. But buyers beware.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 8th, 2019 17:00

See https://www.landzdown.com/anti-spyware-software/malwarebytes-new-version-3-8-3-wait/msg201169/?topicseen#msg201169

Corrine (reply #2) said she ran a "tool" [which I believe requires .NET 4], and it fixed the issue.

Plodr (reply #3) mentions an alternative approach, which also got things to work for him/her.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 16th, 2019 18:00

Thanks ky, everything you said could apply to me, and makes sense.

Malwarebytes support responded to my inquiries promptly, and after a short period of consideration, issued me a lifetime license key good for 2 devices. I promptly registered it online, where it was accepted. Online MyAccount, however, shows it expires in one year, yet the MB3 GUI says it's good for life. Guess I'll find out next August.

At any rate, I have recovered working licenses for up to 4 devices. And I have stopped receiving alerts to upgrade my versions. My faith in Malwarebytes is maintained, despite this recent glitch.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

August 17th, 2019 03:00

Interesting... Online MyAccount shows that my MBAE-based license has expired! I'm still running version 3.7x on Win7, Win8.1 [and 3.5.x on XP], and so I'm "afraid" to temp updating to 3.8.x on the newer systems [XP doesn't offer an update]. At some point, I'll probably test the 8.1 first, to see what happens, as I'm not running MBAE in real-time there... so if I lose it, it won't be the end of the world. But I do want it to run in real-time on my Win7.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 17th, 2019 19:00

At the end of the day, the only lifetime license I lost was the free one for being a beta tester of MBAM. This was on XP, and attempts to reinstall MB3 on XP failed (perhaps not surprising, given it is no longer supported). This license key was not accepted on any of my Win 7 or Win 10 systems.

The 2 lifetime licenses I paid for both updated to V. 8x Premium without problem. Like you, I intend to use MB3 on my 2 Win 7 systems after MS drops support, as a major security component. (After all MBAM protected my XP for years after the XPocalypse with no compromise).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

August 18th, 2019 10:00

Well, I decided to take the plunge, and have (apparently) successfully updated to 3.8.3, first on my Win 8.1 system [as a test], and then on my primary win 7 system.   Haven't rebooted, so that will be the final test... but so far, so good.

No Events found!