Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2006 19:00

McAfee Security Center not opening up or gettin uninstalled fm Add/Rem prgrms after IE-7 install.

I installed IE7 (RC1) a couple of days ago in my Inspiron 9400 new laptop. Before installing the IE7, I disabled the McAfee Firewall, AV, Spamkiller and all other related Mcafee installs (blah blah blah) as per IE7  installation instructions. After IE7 was succesfully installed & my laptop rebooted , I am not able to open up my McAfee Security Center nor can I uninstall the same from ADD/REMOVE programs. Whats happening is that, when I doubleclick or try to OPEN up the security center either from System Tray or All Programs, it tries to open up and then doesnot.....no error msgs... MCAfee Security Center (MSC) is still updating itself. with new definitions. Rebooting several times didnot help. Also when trying to run DMsetup.exe from Mcafee to re-install full Mcafee again - it is giving error msg, "javascript error, problem detected on line 40, in IE...... " (donot remember the exact error msg now) and the installation is failing also. When trying to uninstall the current one from Add Remove programs, it doesnot open up at all.
Please advise on this if you have any solution. I donot want to go with System Restore as that will uninstall my IE7 RC1 which I fixed after a lot of problems.  Thanx much in advance.

8.8K Posts

September 8th, 2006 21:00

We need to check this out in the HJT forum and see what's up?

Go to here and download HiJackThis to its own folder that you create on your C:\ drive at C:\HJT.
After it is downloaded open the program and click Scan and Save to log.

Post the log that it generates in the HiJackThisForum for analysis.

Steve

20 Posts

September 9th, 2006 03:00

Here is my Hijack log :

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_hijack&message.id=44498

Thank you again.

September 10th, 2006 16:00

Hi, Unfortunately, McAfee, hidden in its forum, states that it does not support Internet 7 beta.  "We do not support beta programs."  I suppose this is another reason not to renew McAfee.

8.8K Posts

September 10th, 2006 19:00

paindoc,

You're da man!

Thanks

20 Posts

September 11th, 2006 01:00

Does that mean that I have no solution for this problem ? Even I cannot uninstall McAfee now by any means ?? If there is a solution to uninstall McAfee, pls let me know, will be highly appreciated, thanks again .

September 11th, 2006 17:00

To solve your problem, you must remove IE 7, delete McAfee and reinstall either from the disc, or online from your account. web page.  These tools found here will do it for you.  http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=71943.  You also have the option of using a different product for security that does not choke on IE 7 beta.   No matter which alternative you choose, you must remove your McAfee Security suite before proceeding.  Try some of the freebies for AV and free Zone Alarm for a firewall.  I really am dissatisfied with McAfee.

20 Posts

September 12th, 2006 11:00

Thanx for the update.. I will try this now.. My am in Pain now :-) I just payed for a 1 yr subscription for Mcafee suite..and there is no way to install IE6 also as microsoft IE6 site doesnot show the download option. But anyways, thanx for your advice again.

September 12th, 2006 15:00

There is hope.  Go to add-remove programs in settings and I think you can restore to a previous version of IE.

20 Posts

September 13th, 2006 11:00

Thanks for the advice. Yes, that was my only option of using Mcafee without IE7(RC1) -> i.e. to revert back to IE6 reluctantly. :-) Hope MS will soon come up with IE7 after the release candidate 1 - is tested out. Thanks much.

September 13th, 2006 14:00

Glad everything worked out OK.  My McAfee subscription is up in November.  With the companies history of lack of addressing problems, it's a wonder that they have any customers at all.

20 Posts

September 13th, 2006 18:00

You are so right Lawrence... They will hardly have any customer in the future if this is how they reacts to problems... What I did was a live chat in their website with one of their chat techs... The online tech had nothing else to say except that I have to uninstall the IE7 (RC1).. He said that McAfee's policy is that they dont experiment with any beta software versions. When MS will come up with the real IE7 then McAfee will update their product to support that IE version. :-) Anyways thanx for the info, you have been a great help to resolve my prob. :-) - Subhro

8.8K Posts

September 13th, 2006 20:00

...just a suggestion, but you might want to check out AVG7-AntiVirus-FREE
when your subscription to McAfee runs out..

ZB1

20 Posts

September 13th, 2006 21:00

Thats a very good suggestion, thanx again... BTW, how is this software ? http://usa.kaspersky.com/store/
My buddy has that in his laptop & I found that it takes less than 25 MB memory for a full package whereas McAfee and Norton Security Suite takes somewhere in the neibourhood of 70 MB of memory.. making the windows relatively slow. Depending on your feedback (since you are an expert in this field) I will "buy" kaspersky after my McAfee subscription is over. Thanx in advance... - Subhro

8.8K Posts

September 13th, 2006 21:00

Kaspersky is excellent.

Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 09-13-200603:51 PM

September 14th, 2006 13:00

Be aware that Kasperskyis excellent but is a Russian product that has a complex user interface and is expensive.  Technical help is expensive.
No Events found!