Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2012 20:00

[Moved] Programs Missing from Start Menu/Missing Files

Hello,

I am new here and by don't know much about inner workings on computers.  If I have a detailed manuel, etc., however, I do well.  

I logged on last night to discover that all my files, pictures, etc. were missing as well as the programs from the start menu.   I was able to determine that the files were "hidden" so I was able to go to my control panel, appearance and themes and "unhide" the files.  That brought my pictures and files back, however, they are "shaded" and when I try to open them it says they are hidden.  They do, however, show up now.    I was also able to get some things back on the start menu, but not everything.  I have my docs, my music, my computer, control panel.  i thought I could do a system restore but when I open my accessories system restore, disk fragmentors, etc. aren'ts options.  Is there a way to get all my programs back?   I have looked online and read about unhide.exe from bleepingcomputer . com . . . is this save to run?

Any suggestions?  Thank you!!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 25th, 2012 22:00

I think your computer has been infected with malware. Some forms of malware will hide various programs and tools, and block you from visiting anti-malware sites online.

4 Posts

February 25th, 2012 23:00

Hi rdunnill,

Thank you for your post.  I thought that might be the case and I have been researching the problem online.  I have managed to unhide my files, however, I still cannot put anything on my desktop, even when it is "checked" to show on desktop.  I also am still missing all my microsoft products, works, office suite, encarta, maps, etc. and my accessories still doesn't have system restore, disk degratmentor, etc. in system tools?  Any thoughts on how I might be able to fix this?

I tried going to bleepingcomputer.com to run unhide.exe however a warning from McAfee popped up that the site was untrustworthy and had maleware, viruses, etc.  I found that odd cuz the link I was following was from the McAfee community site and they are the ones that suggested it???

Thanks again!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 26th, 2012 08:00

To clean this infestation, you'll probably need a live CD like this: rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/.../kav_rescue_10.iso

Download it using an uninfected computer and burn it to a rescue disk. Then, boot your infected PC with the rescue disk; after bootup, run the utilities. Since Windows won't be running, the malware's defenses won't be running, either, and will be unable to block the antivirus.

4 Posts

February 26th, 2012 11:00

Thank  you rdunnill.  I will see if someone can burn a copy of that for me.

20.5K Posts

February 26th, 2012 12:00

Hi Emsmom99,

I have moved this to the appropriate forum. You have a common malware infection.  We have cleaned many of these. If the instructions posted by rdunnill do not work, or if you choose to work with a trained analyst who can walk you through cleaning this one-on-one, please post back and let us know.  The help that we provide is free.

4 Posts

February 27th, 2012 10:00

Thank you Bugbatter.  Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Everything is working great now.  I was able to run unhide.exe and that cleared everything up and brought everything back.  Thanks for all the help!

20.5K Posts

February 27th, 2012 13:00

You're welcome.  I'm glad you got things working to your satisfaction. Unhide simply makes the files appear and does not remove infection. Therefore, if the problem returns, or if you feel that malware caused it, let us know. 

No Events found!