gibber17a
1 Nickel

Norton System Works 2005

Have just replaced NSW2003 Pro with NSW 2005 and have two error messages and a question.

Error Mesage #1: 'The dynamic link library SymExcpt.dll could not be found in the specified path'....

Error Message #2: When trying to install downloaded virus definitions, the software thinks that the subscription has expired. It had expired with NWS 2003 but should have been reset once 2005 was installed. LiveUpdate works fine.

The question: Is it possible to install Norton Ghost from NSW 2003 Pro given NSW 2005 now rules?

Thanks in advance. Gib
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Texruss
5 Tungsten

Re: Norton System Works 2005

No you can't. But to add my two cents (since someone emailed me tonight from England asking if I wanted a custom installer for Systemworks) I will share my reply:

I'd like to kick Symantec in the a** to tell the truth. *;-) Peter Norton should ask for his name back. Their latest Systemworks and NIS 2005 are so bloated and conflict so much with Microsoft Office that I think they have lost touch with reality (and certainly lost touch with any former cooperation with MS engineers).

I whacked NIS 2005 today in favor of AVG 7 and Windows Firewall. Symantec's myriad of NT Services on their software is beyond belief. And it doesn't stop spyware and adware worth a ding dong.

Thanks for the offer though. *;-)

Russell

Edit: BTW...if you want a restore program that works without requiring the user to possess the knowledge of an MCSA then get Acronis True Image. I did long ago! *;-) Wonderful program and it whips Ghost to pieces for home consumers.

Message Edited by Texruss on 12-28-2004 11:52 PM

0 Kudos
kenrob
2 Iron

Not sure about your 2 problems - other than reinstal - or call Symantec

Re: 2003 Norton Ghost - I tried to install by putting in disk and using the normal setup and trying to install only ghost.

This did not work.

Then I put the disk in -closed the auto stuff - and opend the disk thru My Computer - D drive or wherever disk is.

Then seached around the 2003 files and found Ghost - opened it and was pleased to see it was an exe file

It loaded for me from that specific file and smoothly integrated into my NSW2005 screen.

I let it load into it's default load location and see it as a seperate program in programs list - but it also added the link bar into NSW2005 and with the option link and help and support link.

ps. I had loaded NAV2005 into NSW2003 at first - then got NSW 2005 -

NSW2005 uninstalled Ghost 2003 -as I assume it did with you. Was able to get Ghost2003 back as described above.

Good luck, Ken
0 Kudos
Texruss
5 Tungsten

Good job Ken!

BTW...my long-considered tutorial should help the original poster with his install problems.

Also....do you as a Symantec user want to get the best possible lifespan of Symantec free liveupdates to your 2004 product? Have it good until late December of 2005?

Sound interesting? Then check out this tutorial:

http://russelltexas.com/tutorials/reinstallsymantec.htm

Cheers,

Texruss

0 Kudos
zbestwun2001
6 Gallium

Hey TexRuss
Will that work on Norton 2003 or am I a year late and a dollar short?
Steve

Dell Forum Member Since 2004 but not an employee of Dell

If this answers your question, click
  Yes  

0 Kudos
Texruss
5 Tungsten

It's a yearly secret...2003 products could have been extended by reinstalling on the last day of 2003, 2004 products can be extended a year by installing last day of 2004. 

The trick is the hidden data folders must be removed prior to reinstallation.

Texruss
0 Kudos
gibber17a
1 Nickel

Ken - Thanks for your most excellent fix - it worked like a charm! - Gib
0 Kudos