Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2011 11:00

Not able to print on Dell 968w AIO; Printer tech suggested Malware & provided your links

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3521/5241.Dell-Printer-Problems-_2D00_-JJ8765-2011_2D00_03_2D00_05--Attempting-to-use-HiJackThis.docx

Hello.

A tech was helping me with printer communication issues between my Latitude D630 & 968W AIO; we didn't get anywhere with all of the steps that had worked in the past. Next, he suggested your link: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3521/t/19251122.aspx

Following your steps, I downloaded HiJackThis. When I first clicked "Do a system scan and save logfile", I got a message that stated the following:

"For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, HiJackThis may not be able to fix this. If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this, click Start, Run and type: notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts  and press Enter. Find the line(s) HiJackThis reports and delete them. Save the file as 'hosts.' (with quotes), and reboot.  For Vista: simply exit HiJackThis, right click on the HiJackThis icon, choose 'Run as Administrator'. "

Well, folks, I have Vista (32 bit). So I closed HiJackThis, as directed, right-clicked on the HiJackThis icon, and "Run as Administrator" was not listed in the menu. I'm not sure what they were referring to there. So then I tried the first option they listed. Going to Start --> Run and entering notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts  and 'Enter' just opened a Notepad doc that was a sample. A sentence toward the top reads: This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. The HiJackThis directions stating, "Find the line(s) HiJackThis reports and delete them. Save the file as 'hosts.' " didn't seem to be valid. Since neither of their solutions appeared to resolve the issue, I clicked the OK button in the window, and the log continued to fill itself.

So -- running the HiJackThis scan resulted in a Log, but over that is a blank Notepad window, with another window that reads: "Cannot find the C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJack This\hijackthis.log file.  Do you want to create a new file?"   Choosing "Yes" or "No" results in the same thing: a blank Notepad window. I don't know how to get the Log details into Notepad so that it can be copied.

Do you have any tips for me at this point?

I decided to click "Analyze This" anyway. The only thing that happened was the HJT opened a new window in IE: http://hjt-data.trendmicro.com/hjt/analyzethis/index.php?report=3560990  Not sure why.

I took screen shots of the HJT Log, scrolling through 5 times since I couldn't get the data onto Notepad. I placed the 5 screen shots onto a Word document. The only button I could find to attach anything to this forum message was the "Insert Media" button. I'm not sure if Word is considered to be "media". It didn't stop me from attaching the document. If you don't see the attachment, I could also attach the screen shot jpg files. However, I'm not certain if this forum allows more than one attachment per message.

Thank you!

JJ8765

March 30th, 2011 02:00

Hi JJ8765,

Your event viewer logs did not produce the results that I was expecting and we need to pinpoint what is causing all of your errors. Please do not make any other changes to your system until after you follow the instructions in this post and we review your new event viewer logs. I have no idea what other technicians have done by remoting into your computer and it will be impossible to keep up if changes are being made constantly.

First

Check your Device Manager for Errors.

1. Click Start>Type devmgmt.msc in the Search Bar>Press ENTER
2. Take a screen shot of any hardware entries that may have a yellow exclamation point or a red X.

Second

Clear the Event Viewer Logs

• Navigate to and select each of the the event logs (System & Application)>Right Mouse Click>Select Properties>Clear Log

Perform a Clean Startup of your computer to try and pinpoint what is causing your errors

• Click Start>Type msconfig in the Search Bar>Press ENTER. Allow the UAC prompts.
  • Click the Services tab>Check Hide All Microsoft Services box>Click Disable All
  • Click the Startup tab>Click Disable All >Click OK
  • Restart the computer and test the issue. Perform some normal functions with your computer (printing, etc.)

Return to Normal Startup

• Click Start>Type msconfig in the Search Bar>Press ENTER. Allow the UAC prompts.
  • Click the General tab>Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services>Click OK
  • Restart the computer and test the issue. Perform some normal functions with your computer (printing, etc.).
  • Note any differences between Normal Startup & Clean Startup.

Third

Attach a new set of Event Viewer Logs.

Review What to include in your response.

1. Let me know if you experienced any errors with the instructions and tell me exactly what problems you are still experiencing.
2. Post ant screen shots if there were any yellow exclamation pointsor a red X in the Device Manager.
3. Describe any differences between Normal Startup & Clean Startup.
4. The system.evtx & application.evtx (zip file) attached.

Thank you,

Faith

41 Posts

March 30th, 2011 18:00

Faith,

Thank you for your response.

First

The Device Manager was clean - no yellow exclamation marks or red X's.

Second

I cleared the event viewer logs according to your steps and then did the "Clean Startup" in msconfig. After rebooting, I just worked normally. I wasn't sure how to test the issue. When I got the two blue screens on Sunday and one on Monday, there wasn't anything special I was working on at the time. After a while, I returned the PC to "normal setup" in msconfig and rebooted. Continued working - no blue screen or other odd occurrences.

Third

The latest event viewer logs are attached in a zip folder.

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3521/4278.system_2D00_appl-2011_2D00_03_2D00_30.zip

Regarding the comments in your first paragraph, I first made an entry to the Printer forum in late February. Rick referred me to this forum and I made my first post to it on 3/5/11. I run a business and use this PC for the business - the only PC the business (and I) own. Not being able to print was becoming a very serious issue for my business.  Likewise, I ran into Outlook and email server issues on 3/28 which my webmaster (and email host) could address on a timely basis. There are issues for which I cannot wait 3 or 4 days to address. 

Thank you for understanding.

JJ8765

April 2nd, 2011 13:00

Hi JJ8765,

I do apologize for the delayed response to you. I had some medical & family issues to sort out. Thank you for explaining your seeking other help while we were working with you. I did not have any problems with Rick's help, it is just that it is hard to keep up with the constant changes. There are too many errors that keep returning to your computer and the blue screen was caused by the remote session and your Wireless connection. The Quickbooks errors have returned too. It would be futile to continue chasing these errors one at a time.

I have found one more thing that we can try-

Open your Device Manager again and expand the Display Adapter>Right Mouse Click on the Graphics Card>Select Properties>Click on the Driver Tab

Compare the version hat you have with this article-

Dell XPS M1330, Latitude D630/D830 notebook suffers data corruption (e.g. data loss, bluescreens, ...) in Windows Vista 32Bit if you install one of those graphics drivers from intel or dell:

7.14.10.1437 (v15.8)
7.14.10.1409 (v15.7.3)

If you suffer data corruption, please use this alternative driver by dell, since the bug is not present in this older driver:

You can try to install the older driver if that is what is causing your issues. If you need more help with that process, please let me know.

If this does not work you will only have two options left, you could seek support from Dell and after many diagnostic tests you might end up performing a factory restore of Vista or you could choose to perform a factory restore of Vista at this time or at a time you can plan for to avoid an interruption to your business.

Please let me know if you have any questions and what your decision will be.

Thank You,

Faith

20.5K Posts

April 4th, 2011 03:00

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.

41 Posts

April 4th, 2011 08:00

Bugbatter,

What? I don't understand how you "closed" my topic that has been ongoing and is not quite done.

Also, in your text, you wrote, "If you need continued support, please begin a new thread...." -- I would appreciate it if you (Bugbatter, the addressee of this post) will, in the future, state who "you" is when you post to the forum. You did not address anyone in particular in your post. How is anyone supposed to know who you mean by "you"?  "The original topic starter" has a user name. Please use it!

Thank you.

JJ8765

41 Posts

April 4th, 2011 09:00

Faith,

Thanks for this latest idea.

The current card is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family - 7.14.10.1409

I decided to try the 7.14.10.1253 that you had in your post & linked.

After saving it and running it, just before it should have completed, I got the following error message:

I don't know what the "minimum requirements for installing the software" would be. Too much unexplained there to even guess.

So I probably do need to go with your next suggestion.

How do I seek support from Dell, as you wrote? I don't want to call them & get into a voicemail loop.

(My PC is also on an extended plan right now. Not sure what is covered there w/o re-reading the fine print.)

Thank you.

JJ8765

20.5K Posts

April 4th, 2011 10:00

JJ8765, to answer your questions, it is our policy to close topics after there has been no reply from the original poster for several days - usually 3. For a topic being handled by a trainee, we give them an extra day so they can have their reply reviewed by their instructor. By doing this, it allows us to work with other members who have been waiting for help.  There was no reply from you since March 30. You had stated: "There are issues for which I cannot wait 3 or 4 days to address."  Today was the fifth day with no input from you until just now. Faith had suggested the options of contacting Dell Support or doing a Dell Factory PC Restore. It appeared from your forum absence that you had moved on with one of those projects.Therefore, your topic was closed.

41 Posts

April 4th, 2011 15:00

Bugbatter,

Seriously? I'm challenged to review my responses by date/time.

I looked back to 3/24/11 and in no way do I see that it took me 3 days to respond to any of Faith's or Rick's posts.

Yes, I responded on Wednesday, March 30 at 6:21 pm in response to Faith's last post also on March 30 (her response was a few hours earlier at 2:32 pm). So in that post, I responded 4 hours after Faith's last post.

After I posted on March 30th at 6:21 pm, I waited. Faith responded on April 2nd at 1:49 pm (3 days after my last post). This April 2nd post was on a Saturday. Sometimes I am able to go through emails on the weekend; sometimes I am not able to do that. It's the weekend. I planned to get back to my next post on Monday morning, which is today, April 4th. But then I encountered your post dated 4/4/11 at 3:50 am.

Still, my response to Faith's last response? (April 2nd at 1:49 pm for her, and April 4th at 9:11 am for me....) =  That's less than 2 days.

What I do not see is how you count 3 days. Since my last post? What? Am I supposed to reply to myself?

If you're going to count # of days to respond, shouldn't you count the # of days it takes me to respond to Faith's last post? Not to my own post?

Then you wrote, "Today was the fifth day with no input from you until just now. "

I do not see how you calculate that. Fifth day? Since I responded to whom? Myself?

Oy!

JJ8765

20.5K Posts

April 4th, 2011 16:00

Please contact Dell Support using one of  the available options, or proceed with a Dell Factory Restore and see if that solves the problem. This thread is closed.

No Events found!