Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 27th, 2019 12:00

OneDrive - scam?

Got email today saying:

"...personal account has been unused for the past two years, and it will be deleted on April 27, 2019"...If you want to keep your personal account, please visit OneDrive to reactivate it."

Looks authentic, but I've never set up or used a OneDrive account on any PC.

I copied/pasted the link hidden under the "Go to OneDrive" button in the email into Notepad. It's a "clickmail" URL.

Is this a scam? Obviously, I'm not going to find out the hard way by clicking that button. And I don't advise anyone else to click it if they get a similar email...just saying... :Wink:

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 27th, 2019 15:00

Ron,

I can't speak to that one...

but today, I got a pretty authentic looking e-mail allegedly from one of my credit card companies.   Took me two or three reads to finally catch a typo in it.

I forwarded it to their spoof department, as a phishing attempt.

I didn't click on their enclosed "attachment"... which was an html file.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 27th, 2019 16:00

@ky331  Thanks...

Didn't catch any obvious typos in the OneDrive email I got, and I don't know if Microsoft uses "clickmail" links for things like this. Looks like authentic MS logos too, but they're easy enough to copy/paste into a scammer's messages.

I never had a OneDrive account with the email address mentioned in the message or with any other email address I use.  So that set off alarms...

I deleted the message and even if it was real and MS cancels that OneDrive account, I won't miss it and nothing lost because I have never saved anything on OneDrive.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 27th, 2019 17:00

Or, just uninstall OneDrive from Win 10.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

@joe53 wrote:

Trusting your files to internet storage backup by MS- what could possibly go wrong?

Ummm, everything...?

Why haven't you disabled OneDrive? Open Task Manager and go to Start-Up tab. Select OneDrive and click the button to disable it. You'll still have to disable the tray icon.

Better yet, you have Win 10 Pro, so open the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). Then navigate to:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive

In right pane, double-click "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" and set it to Enabled. Reboot, and...poof...gone..!

Sneaky MS did it backwards, you have to Enable that setting to Disable OneDrive. :Hmm:

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

Microsoft has plagued me with OneDrive alerts, messages, icons in my notification tray, and other tortures on my Win 10 Pro system, all urging me to activate a OneDrive Account. I never did use it for 3 years, but have never received any emails from MS about it (or any other issue). I would love for MS to delete OneDrive from my system.

Trusting your files to internet storage backup by MS- what could possibly go wrong?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 28th, 2019 07:00

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Why-did-I-get-an-email-saying-your-account-will-be-deleted-5ee83d1a-28da-4d05-a1ca-46a522919e45

If you receive an email like this, it's because either:

• You haven't used your OneDrive account in two years.

• You used your work or school account to create a personal Microsoft account some years ago. This could have been for Xbox, Skype, or Outlook.com, but resulted in a OneDrive account also being created.

What should I do?

If you're not sure whether you use personal OneDrive, sign in to onedrive.com to reactivate and review your account.

Is this email phishing?

Emails from email@mail.onedrive.com are genuine Microsoft communications and relate to personal OneDrive (onedrive.com).

Tips: 

• If you're not sure whether the email is legitimate or not, do not click the email link, but sign in to onedrive.com to reactivate and review your account. 

• If you still believe the email is phishing, copy and paste the phishing scam message into a blank new message as an attachment and send it to phish@office365.microsoft.com

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 28th, 2019 20:00

Ron: Thanks for all that removal info. I am reluctant to completely uninstall a program that might prove useful in the future for some reason. But attempts to disable OneDrive using several of the methods you suggested ultimately failed me. It kept coming back at me. So I might yet uninstall it completely via Control Panel.

I did discover a scheduled update to OneDrive buried in CCleaner that was not listed in Task Manager or in Winpatrol Plus. I was able to disable that updater in CCleaner.

It is obvious to me that MS will go to great lengths to persuade me to store my files on their servers. I'm not buying it. External hard drives under my control and security are the solution I trust for backup.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 29th, 2019 10:00

@joe53- I can't possibly fathom why you're so reluctant to store all your files on some MS server, located who-knows-where... :Wink:

So be brave and get out of misery! Uninstall OneDrive, today!  :Geeked:

You can always download and reinstall it again, but doubt you (or I) will ever want to reinstall it...

No Events found!