Highlighted
ky331
Diamond

Opera (50-BETA) Offers First Built-In Cryptojacking Protection Tool

Remark:   I normally don't mention BETA programs... but this development is highly interesting.   IF you decide you want to try this (or any other) BETA program, realize you are proceeding at your own risk.

https://securityintelligence.com/news/opera-offers-first-built-in-cryptojacking-protection-tool/

According to ZDNet, the beta version of Opera 50 is the first major browser to offer a built-in mechanism that blocks cryptojacking, a new form of malware that leverages the victim’s computer to mine cryptocurrency without permission.

The new antimining tool, called NoCoin, is part of the ad blocker function in Opera. It is disabled by default but can be enabled through the Settings or Preferences page. According to an Opera blog post, the tool blocks cryptocurrency mining scripts just as an ad blocker would disable banner ads and pop-ups.

Without a tool such as NoCoin, a cryptocurrency miner might go undetected until the central processing unit (CPU) usage dramatically increased for no obvious reason, preventing the victim from executing his or her own programs.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos