joe53
5 Rhenium

Phone scams

I received a phone call at home from the Oakland CA area today. It went something like this:
"Sir, I'm from 'Windows' and am calling to report problems with your computer ... " at which point I cut her off, laughed and said I didn't believe her, and hung up. She didn't call back.

Had this call originated in Canada, I would have reported this number to the RCMP fraud squad. Instead I reported it here:
http://www.numberinvestigator.com
Turns out others had reported this number many times.

Fraudulent phone calls pretending to offer phone support needing access to your system for non-existent problems are hardly news, but I hadn't realized how increasingly common (and often successful) they are:
http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/jun11/06-16MSPhoneScamPR.mspx

Just a timely reminder.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ky331
6 Indium

Re: Phone scams

Yes, this is becoming quite a problem.

Let's be blunt:  

Microsoft is NOT monitoring people's computers for viruses [nor other problems].  

DELL is NOT monitoring people's computers for viruses.  

Even your ISP is NOT monitoring your computer for viruses.  

So if you get an UNsolicited call from these --- or just about anyone else --- "advising" you of a problem on your computer which they need to repair... for which they request permission to have "remote access" to your PC, and/or request credit-card (or bank) information so you can pay for their help... IT'S A SCAM!   As Joe did, just hang up on them.

============================================

Giving them (remote) access to your machine will allow them:

1) to search through your computer to find any sensitive information (credit card, bank account, and social security numbers; address & phone  --- if you've saved any of these on your PC)... with which they can "steal" your identity and defraud you financially; and/or

2) to infect your machine [with viruses/malware], after which they can "confirm" the problem, and demand a "ransom" to fix it.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos