Virus & Spyware

Last reply by 12-02-2014 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
8 Krypton

Privacy advocates release free 'Detekt' tool that finds surveillance malware

Anybody with a sandbox had a look at Detekt?

The open-source tool, dubbed Detekt, was developed by security researcher Claudio Guarnieri. It was released in partnership with Amnesty International, Digitale Gesellschaft, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Privacy International....

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Replies (11)
6 Gallium

Haven't tried it myself, but might give it a trial on my XP system where I usually surf in a sandbox.

For those interested, more info, instructions on using it, and download can be had here:

https://resistsurveillance.org/

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 4.x Premium, Windows Defender AV, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

8 Krypton

Was going to install it on this laptop, but it doesn't support Win 8.1 so can't run it here. Don't want to risk it on my Win 7 system.

Be interested to hear your opinions, though unless it actually finds something on your system, we'll have no way to know how useful it is. :emotion-4:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

7 Gold

I downloaded and ran detekt on my XP system, and it found nothing.

1) Per Ron's cautionary suggestion, I first attempted to run detekt in Sandboxie.   And nothing happened.   The likely explanation:   According to their instructions in Step 1, "In order to use Detekt you need to execute it with administrative rights".   Since Sandboxie lowers the rights of programs, so as not to bypass its security, this program fails to execute therein.

2) Detekt's instructions further indicate:  "Before launching the tool, ... make sure the computer is disconnected from the Internet... We [further] recommend that you disable your Antivirus software to prevent possible interference or false positives".   I was NOT going to disable my Anti-virus for this test... if there were sufficient interference, I'd just exit the program to end the test.  

For what it's worth, when I tried launching detekt with my wireless disabled, the detekt interface tried to open, but then it just sat there.   With my wireless enabled, detekt opened itself, and warned me that my computer was connected to the internet.  I disabled my wireless at that point, and hit the scan button.

There was no indication (e.g., percentages) indicating how the scan was progressing.   I was concerned, because the instructions indicated "This scanning process might take even up to 30 minutes, depending on the performances of the computer".   Fortunately, it completed itself quickly (just a few minutes).  Upon completion, it announced:

Nothing found.

I wasn't able to identify the presence of any of any governmental spyware of interest. Please note that this does not necessarily mean your computer is clean, as you could be targeted with many other viruses Detekt does NOT scan for. Executing regular scans with commercial Antivirus software, will help you identify more common threat viruses.

Make sure you always have all your software updated to the most recent version and that your Antivirus and any additional security software is updated and running. The best defense is using the computer with conscience and maintaning a regular digital hygiene.

If you have strong suspicion of being targeted despite this result, please do seek assistance.

You can find additional instructions on what to do next and on how to get in contact with us at [url removed... I saw no point to include it.]

--------------

While I'm not surprised it found nothing --- since I strive to keep my machine(s) "squeeky clean" --- I have no idea how to evaluate the true effectiveness of this program.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 20, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

6 Gallium

My experience on my trusty old XP mirrors ky's.

It's an unproven utility, and a bit of a "black box". I certainly wouldn't install it on a production system.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 4.x Premium, Windows Defender AV, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

8 Krypton

Thanks guys!

I was afraid it was a scam and/or malware, rather than something (potentially) useful.

Won't install it here.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

4 Beryllium

Hi Ron.

Something I found about Detekt

https://blog.gdatasoftware.com/blog/article/update-the-tool-detekt-what-you-should-know-about-it.htm...

I am not testing it either.

BTW. I don't know if it is me or the forums, but I am not able to copy/paste an address ( URL ) like I used to any longer. This is madness. This is happening since my account disappeared misteriouly and I was allowed again to post.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3. IE8 & FF38

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

8 Krypton

Interesting read. Makes it sounds like Detekt is mostly useless hype designed to embarrass governments.

As for cutting/pasting URLs, select the text you want to be the hyperlink and click the "infinity" sign on the toolbar. Paste the URL into the widget and click ok. That should create a functional hyperlink in the body of the post.

If that doesn't help, contact Dell-Robert P via PM and ask him to have someone look into your account settings.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

4 Beryllium

A word by the developers:

https://medium.com/@botherder/what-detekt-was-really-all-about-aaecfb17b6d5

As for cutting/pasting URLs, select the text you want to be the hyperlink and click the "infinity" sign on the toolbar. Paste the URL into the widget and click ok. That should create a functional hyperlink in the body of the post.

That I've also tried. Like right now. Sometimes it works, like today, some times it doesn't.

Thank you Ron.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3. IE8 & FF38

Avast!Free 2015. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

8 Krypton

Sometimes it works, like today, some times it doesn't.

Phase of the   ??

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions