Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2009 18:00

Questionable virus

Hi, hope you can help me.  I noticed 2 days ago that I was unable to log on to my internet so I decided to scan my computer through Mcafee to see if there were any  infected files and the scan froze twice in the same spot.  I tried doing a quick cleanup and it froze in the middle of shredding a couple unwanted files.  My main homepage on Mcafee states I am protected but when I went into safemode it came up that I wasn't protected and pretty much everything needs attention.  Is that normal in safe mode?? and when I scanned the computer in safe mode I had no viruses detected.  I am kind of at a loss because I can't even connect to the internet at home to download anti malware.  Do you have any suggestions to what I can do next??

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 8th, 2009 18:00

Yes it's normal. Safe Mode does not load your anti virus program or anything other programs. Your problem more likely is with your Internet provider or your network settings. Call your provider to see if your setup and connections are OK.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2009 19:00

Thanks for answering so quickly.  I'm hoping it is just my internet but why is my computer locking up and when I reboot it takes forever for all the applications to come up?

20.5K Posts

March 8th, 2009 22:00

Script blocking provided by some anti-virus programs will run in safemode, but that is not your problem.

Frequently, these symptoms are caused by malware.  Please note the instructions below for downloading MBAM to a USB stick or burning it to a CD, renaming it, and transferring it to the computer with the problem.

Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates,
  • manually download them from here
    and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
    Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer,
    copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes'
    Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan"; then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • If you are still having problems and/or would like a follow-up check to be sure the infection as well as vulnerabilities are gone, copy and paste the entire report into a New Message on the Malware Removal forum. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.

1. Just click the Start A New Thread button (upper right) in the Malware Removal forum HERE
    to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.

2. In the discussion window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Notes:
    If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "catchjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to your CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "catchjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

**If you need to re-install MBAM but encounter issue in re-installing, try using the MBAM Cleanup Utility by downloading it from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

966 Posts

March 9th, 2009 13:00

In addition to the other good advise you can try safe mode with networking

You accomplish this task the same way as getting into safe mode,but scroll down to safe mode with networking

3 Posts

March 9th, 2009 14:00

Thank you for your help.  I was able to get on my interet this morning and downloaded to my computer.  It showed 340 some adware and 6 trojans on my computer.  Not sure if adware is real harmful but I deleted everything.  Thanks so much!

20.5K Posts

March 9th, 2009 17:00

If MBAM picks up adware, it is adware that has been installed by trojans or adware that contains spyware. It was good that you deleted it.

No Events found!