Highlighted
S.C
Gold

Random Playing Of Unknown Audio Files Virus While Using the Internet + HiJackThis Not Working Properly + System Restore Error!

My computer is a giant mess as of today. I am very frustrated.

So, first, it was just this strange virus that popped out of seemingly nowhere! I was surfing the Internet when random audio started playing! They almost sounded like commercials or recordings. They play randomly and for no reason. I think it's a some type of malware that is hidden within a windows process because I can't find it when I look in the task manager, but when it plays, my CPU  usage goes up about 10%.  I tried running Avira, MalwareBytes Anti-Spyware and Super Anti Spyware. It found nothing. I'm not sure when this problem started because normally I have my volume on mute.

So, then I thought I tried to get a HiJackThis log, but when I ran it, it gave me an error saying it couldn't get into my host files. And when it was done scanning, the notepad log that popped up was empty! I had followed the instructions perfectly!

And so, I thought I should just give it a shot and try system restore, but it will only allow me to do a restore for today. If I try other days, it will not complete successfully. I got an error that some of my files are corrupted. I can't figure out what's wrong!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
S.C
Gold

Re: Random Playing Of Unknown Audio Files Virus While Using the Internet + HiJackThis Not Working Properly + System Restore Error!

I am surfing the internet as of now and all seems quiet, but I did do a system restore today. It only removed HiJackThis though, so I doubt it resolved the problem.

0 Kudos
S.C
Gold

Re: Random Playing Of Unknown Audio Files Virus While Using the Internet + HiJackThis Not Working Properly + System Restore Error!

Apparently, my friends and family members who have owned a Dell Inspiron E1505 have all had problems with the hard drive failing. My computer is 3 years old and I thought I took pretty good care of it, but who knows.

0 Kudos
Bugbatter
Diamond

Hi S.C.

Your symptoms in your first post don't sound good. To be honest, you may have a Master Boot Record rootkit on there. Have you had any other symptoms of malware such as redirects? My advice is to keep an eye on things. If you get any other symptoms, post a note on the Malware Removal Forum.

Windows Insider MVP 2016 -

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional
SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.

0 Kudos
S.C
Gold

Hey, BugBatter!

I haven't spoken to you in ages! I doubt you remember me! I used to visit this forum ALL the time. I think you even referred me to a site called CastleCops, if I'm correct? How are you doing?Maybe I should try to relearn that HiJackThis, eh?

No, I haven't had any redirects, as far as I know. It's making me nervous. I was planning on buying a new computer soon, but I'm out of a job right now until school starts again, so this isn't the best time. What kind of symptoms should I be looking for?

0 Kudos
Bugbatter
Diamond

Of course I remember you.   You won't see all the components of that rootkit in HijackThis. You would be experiencing advertisements with sound, maybe redirects, and a few others that show up in specialized scans.  If that's it, it can be fixed. Three years isn't an extremely old computer.

SpywareHammer

0 Kudos
S.C
Gold

Whatever happened to CasleCops? I googled it and it said it was closed.

No redirects as of yet, but I have experienced another odd audio recording thing. It is incredibly annoying.

0 Kudos
Bugbatter
Diamond

CastleCops closed in December 2008 when its owner took a position at Microsoft. Many of the former staff at CastleCops are now at SpywareHammer, a site that opened in September 2008.

http://www.geek.com/articles/microsoft/castlecops-paul-laudanski-accepts-job-at-microsoft-20080613/

SpywareHammer

0 Kudos
S.C
Gold

I'm still getting the random audio files. I just got 2. About 1 minute apart. I wish I knew what to do about it.

So, Is Spywarehammer the same kind of site?? I might join it then.

0 Kudos
Bugbatter
Diamond

Yes, SpywareHammer is similar to CastleCops. I suggest posting a log on the MalwareRemoval Forum here. Perhaps one of the helpers can assist you in finding out what the problem is.

SpywareHammer

0 Kudos