Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2006 21:00

SW.exe (silentspy) .... HOW DO I REMOVE?

I just realized i had some kind of keylogger on my computer.. (whenever it shutdown, the process called SW kept ending).  I searched for a solution but could not find.. Norton antivirus's way didnt help me because it wouldnt let me delete the registry keys...

ANY help please reply ASAP

thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 28th, 2006 22:00

first off, are you sure your particular SW file is silent spy??   without more information, it could also be: 

Scrolling Window
Shadow Warrior
Smart Whois

or countless other programs.

Can you give us a complete pathname?   And on what basis do you believe it to be SilentSpy [or more generally, a keylogger], rather than anything else?

Message Edited by ky331 on 11-28-200607:26 PM

56 Posts

November 28th, 2006 23:00

Well i got suspicious after my last few shutdowns when it kept having to end the SW process... so being cautious i searched sw.exe on the web, and i am almost certain it is a keylogger.  The Norton antivirus instructions explained where the registry for the keylogger was but i couldnt delete them.

that is why i am certain its a keylogger or trojan of some kind.  I cant find any real .exes anywhere on my c drive though.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 29th, 2006 10:00

I'm not saying it's NOT the silent spy keylogger... just that it doesn't HAVE to be it.

Since you really don't have enough information to offer a definitive diagnosis, I would suggest you follow these directions to create and post a HiJackThis Log, in the HJT forum.   The people there should be able to determine just what your particular SW program is, and if it's indeed a keylogger, they'll help you remove it:

Download a self-extracting copy of the latest version of HJT (HiJackThis) (version 1.99.1) from
Save it to your Desktop.
Double-click on the file    hijackthis_sfx.exe    file, and allow it to self-extract [by clicking on UnZip] into the suggested/default folder,
C:\Program Files\HijackThis

Use Windows Explorer to navigate your way into this folder, and then double click on HiJackThis. exe

Click on  Do a System Scan and Save a LogFile

This will automatically open NotePad

Copy the entire file from NotePad:  EDIT/SelectAll, EDIT/Copy

Then go to the forum dedicated for HiJack This logs (**NOT** back here), and  PASTE the results there:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack

Be sure to include a detailed description of any problems/errors/warnings you are encountering.

Hopefully, one of the HJT experts will get to it as quickly as possible.

WARNING:  HiJack This is a VERY POWERFUL tool.  While it's  completely safe  for you to download, generate, and post your log (as described above), you should *NOT* attempt to do anything else (in particular, do NOT use it to delete/fix any entries) until you are advised to do so by a forum expert!!   Improper use of this tool can severely damage your system.

56 Posts

November 29th, 2006 17:00

will do.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2006 10:00

Andrew,

I see that you posted your HJT log, have been waiting a few days, and have now posted a 2nd/linked request.   I have sent a message to someone I know there, so hopefully, they will not overlook you much longer.
No Events found!