Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 25th, 2012 10:00

Secunia

I have been using Secunia for several years and I notice it is well recommended by the forum advisors. I have it running all the time. I was wondering if there was a way to use it effectively and not allow it to boot up. According to my computer it takes 76sec. to boot. I'm trying to cut back on my boot up time. I like the program so it could be something I will have to live by. Is this a program that I could use on a demand manually scanner? I would welcome your advise.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 26th, 2012 06:00

Evermore,

Secunia can certainly be run as an on-demand scanner only.

I happen to have a very old version (1.5.x) on this machine, which has a SETTINGS tab, under which there is a box to check [or UNcheck] for "Start the Secunia PSI on boot".

I know the newer versions also have such an option, but without it in front of me, I can't be more specific.   Hopefully one of the other regulars will be able to say more.

2.7K Posts

December 26th, 2012 08:00

I have version 3.  If you look near the bottom of this program you will see Settings. Click on Settings and then untic "Start on Boot."

338 Posts

December 26th, 2012 11:00

Thanks ky331 and aps@sun. I also have version 3. I was able to find settings and untic "Start on Boot". I hope I'm using this program the way I should. I will try it for now and not let it boot up. Am I defeating the use of the program?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 26th, 2012 19:00

Evermore:

No, you are not defeating the use of the program by using it as an on-demand scanner only. That is the way I use it on my Windows XP Media Center system/SP3 system also. There is no need to have it load at every start-up. Just run it on-demand on a regular basis as part of routine maintenance (for me about once a week).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 27th, 2012 07:00

Evermore wrote:  "Am I defeating the use of the program?"

In terms of using it specifically as an on-demand scanner --- to advise you which of your programs are in need of a security update, so that you may then decide/choose to manually update some/all of those programs --- you are not defeating the program's purpose.

However, versions 2 and 3 introduced various levels of automatic updating capabilities [which were NOT present in version 1.x].   If you want (and have enabled) Secunia to automatically apply security updates to any programs it finds, then yes, by not allowing Secunia to automatically start-up with windows, you are defeating the automatic "behind the scenes" updating that it can do.  

I believe you can also arrange for a "hybrid" setup:   you can disable auto-startup, so that it will run only on-demand, but by having auto-updates enabled, it won't ask you for confirmation when the manual scan finds something... it will automatically update it then.

338 Posts

December 27th, 2012 07:00

Good answer Joe53. That makes me feel better. I was concerned that I maybe was defeating  purpose of the program.

No Events found!