Highlighted
joe53
5 Rhenium

Sony TV, Google and Me

I have a Sony/Bravia widescreen TV. I always got periodic "update" notices, where I never know exactly what is being updated (TV, Set-top box, AV box?). Unlike with my computers, I always felt helpless, and with no options except to accept/install them.

Yesterday I received another update notice, which was clearly from Sony, and was clearly updating my Bravia TV software. It was not forced on me, but after a few days I accepted/installed it at the end of a viewing day. When I turned on my TV today, I was greeted with a Sony/Bravia Privacy Policy screen (first time ever) that I could not bypass. Worse, I could not exit the screen, and I could not scroll down using my remote as instructed. It took me almost one hour to figure out how to "scroll down" using my remote using the proper amount of pressure on the button.

Being forced to view the Privacy Policy surprised me, but the content did not. I was not surprised to see that Sony was monitoring everything I watched, monitoring my internet in order to tailor TV ads aimed at me, and using my vocal question function to eavesdrop on me. I was not surprised when they admitting sharing my personal data with 3rd parties. But I drew the line when they suggested I could permit Google to eavesdrop with some danged app I could install. Not likely!

No Google is allowed on my computers, and now not on my TV. This despite a "Google Play" button on my TV remote. Google is invasive. Google is evil. In the end I give some credit to Sony. After having been forced to view their infernal new Privacy Policy, I was allowed to refuse to accept it by clicking on a [Proceed] button. Hopefully this will neutralize Google on my TV. I have no idea if I have crippled anything on my TV by doing this.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Sony TV, Google and Me

Not to worry, they already know everything about us because we've all been assimilated.

According to Sony (UK):
Disagreeing to the policy will have an overall impact on your experience as a user, disabling many of the features available on your TV, such as firmware updates (including new improvements and bug fixes), key applications and other services.

Sony's (UK) Privacy Policy - updated July-8-19

Sounds like scare tactics! Didn't see a US/Canada equivalent policy update but it's likely the same, or even worse because the EU recently mandated strict new privacy requirements, beyond what the rest of the world requires.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
joe53
5 Rhenium

I hear you Ron. Frankly I can't think of any "feature" on my TV that I need, other than the ability to watch TV. I hope they have disabled all the apps, which I don't understand and do not want. Updates have yet to fix any problem I was having. The Terminator "Skynet" and the "Internet of Things" are looking a lot alike. .

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

That's why I still have an old-fashioned TV with a CRT, not an LCD display, and only watch live, over-the-air broadcasts...

Nobody needs to know I'm watching ancient reruns of... 😁

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos