Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PG

November 11th, 2006 00:00

System halted! Must power down.........Help Please

Tonight we realized that our desktop PC was powered off. When we started it, instead of the pretty blue screen where you enter your password, this is what we see on a black background and white letters

Type the password and ...
--press to leave password security enabled.
--press to disable password security.
Enter password:

When I enter our password, it says
incorrect password
Number of unsuccessful password attempts: 3

System halted! Must power down.

First of all could we have a virus

Any help will be greatly appreciated 

8.8K Posts

November 11th, 2006 00:00

Yes you could have some Malware...
Let's check:

Please post a log on the HijackThis Forum where someone can review it and help you.
HJT Forum

Click HERE to download a self-extractable version of HijackThis.
  • Double click on hijackthis.exe to extract hijackthis to folder c:\hijackthis.
  • It will extract it to that folder and open the folder for you.
  • It will also create a shortcut on your desktop to HijackThis.

• It will scan and the log should open in notepad.Click on "Edit > Select
  • All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the
  • log.
Do not have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

thanks,
ZB1

250 Posts

November 11th, 2006 02:00

...or, is it possible someone with access to your PC set a password in the BIOS? If so, ask them for the password and not to do it again :) .

If its a Dell, you could call tech support.

2.5K Posts

November 11th, 2006 15:00

Two comments.  1 - I think CCruscher is correct, it may very well be a BIOS password problem.  2 - If the user can not logon how can he/she run HijackThis, think about it.  If it is a BIOS password problem, most Dells have a way to clearing them by setting/resetting a jumper on the motherboard.  You can view the user manual on line and follow the instructions.   

2.5K Posts

November 11th, 2006 15:00

Type in the password and... -- press to leave password security enabled. -- press to disable password security. Enter password:

If the Password Status option is set to Locked, the following prompt appears:

Type the password and press .

The above was cut directly from the PE 1600SC maunal when discussing the system password.  A system password is one contained in the BIOS, not the one on the "Logon Screen"

Note the blue text is exactly the same as the original posters text!

Message Edited by msgale on 11-11-200601:37 PM

November 11th, 2006 16:00

Thanks so much for everyone's help.  I still had my owner's manual and we were able to reset the passwords. Thanks again

8.8K Posts

November 11th, 2006 16:00

EDIT:

Sorry  basically repeated what msgale said.

thanks
zb1

Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 11-11-200611:06 AM

8.8K Posts

November 11th, 2006 17:00

Were you able to get to the jumper?

November 11th, 2006 18:00

yes we followed the directions in the owner's manual to reset the password........Thanks again

1 Message

June 6th, 2019 11:00

Mine won't even let my keyboard type except enter. Bout 2 other keyboards thinking that was the problem but isn't

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 6th, 2019 13:00

@240shorty wrote:

Mine won't even let my keyboard type except enter. Bout 2 other keyboards thinking that was the problem but isn't

Nobody can possibly help you unless you post the exact PC model, version of Windows, and if these are wired or wireless keyboards, and if they're USB or...

Suggest you start a new thread with all that info in the appropriate forum.  Choose either Laptops or Desktops and then choose the forum for your specific model (Inspiron, XPS, etc). You can find all of these choices by clicking the "hamburger" icon at top left of any forum page, next to where it says "Browse Community"

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

June 7th, 2019 10:00

Another trip down memory lane. 

Wonder how people keep coming up with these years old threads?

1 Message

May 25th, 2022 08:00

hai.

Can you teach me how to reset? My pc same problem. Do you have a manual?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 25th, 2022 10:00

@Irwan0706  This thread is very years old...

Nobody can help you or find the right manual unless you tell us exactly which PC model (and version of Windows) you're using.

September 5th, 2023 00:31

@msgale​ 

error! memory configured incorrectly. please enter setup for memory information details system halted!

No Events found!